Need Design Engineering Opinions For Motorcycle Storage Lift.

Rcdizy

Registered
Registered
I want to make one of these... For as low cost as possible...

I was thinking of using square 2" tubing for the stationary posts....with 2 1/2" square tubing slided over top for the piece that would move up and down with pullys and cables.

I sort of have the design in my head.
Would the square tubing be strong enough? what thickness? Or must I use I beam or different stock?
The garage is 10' ceilings and the motorcycle is 400pounds.
With the design I am thinking I may need to space it away from the wall a small amount therefor there wouldn't be mid span bracing or fastening to the wall

if I use the basic sliding tubing design, how could i keep from he paint scratching off

Last edited by a moderator:
1/4 inch wall should be good for the 2 inch. 3/16 wall should work for the 2 1/2 inch. Don't know how you are going to keep the paint from scratching. The top of the 2 inch needs to be anchored very well, into something solid, a fair amount of tension on the bolts there. The bottom of the 2 inch should also be bolted to the floor.

get a manual boat winch for raising it. Electric winches are also good, but pricey.

I used to store a 4' x 8' torsion box against he ceiling of my wood shop. I used a large eye at each corner with a pulley in the ceiling. Then I just ran some wire rope up through the pullets, gathered them together, and attached them to the end of the winch lead. I would then attach the winch to anchors and raise the whole rig, lock the table to the ceiling with hooks, an remove the winch. It worked pretty well, the torsion box is made from 4 sheets of plywood and a sheet of melamine, so about 250 lbs. It was a pretty good system, I could do a veneer lay up, then raise the whole thing out of the way so I could use that bit of floor space. I later built a folding cantilever leg system from black pipe and it now stores on its end vertically against the wall. Every time I worked under it, all I could think about was metal fatigue, and the first rule of lifting heavy things (never get under the load). I am sure it would have been just fine, it made me feel better to move it. I used a HF winch - cost very little.

The winch will have a far longer travel than just about any other device, be of small size, and pretty cheap. It will require adding a third leg in the center for the pulleys. I would suggest doubling the wire rope back at least one time in a tackle arrangement. So, wire rope goes up to the top pulley, down to a tension pulley, then either up again or over to the winch. A winch will raise the load directly with no issues, but you will want the tackle arrangement to safely lower it. The real winner here would be a telescoping hydraulic ram, those are pretty expensive though.

The real issue I can see you having is keeping it balanced well enough to keep it from binding, you do not want it binding while lowering. You could draw the wire rope from the back corners, make sure you use a wide radius at the peak. If you mount a flange on the ends of the sliding tube, you could add rollers to protect the finish a bit, and be able to tweak the fit against binding. Probably a good idea to at least add rub blocks so you can adjust the fit, steel blocks would work fine, but I bet Delrin would hold up to the amount of use it would see pretty well.

Now that I wrote all this, it occurred to me that a cheap HF chain fall is the best solution. It will raise and lower the load directly, safely and very easily. All you would need is something to guide the chain you pull on off to one side so it won't tangle, I would just toss it over a piece of pipe using anything cheap to keep the loops separated (piece of plywood or something). I would still go to the back corners for lift points, but would use a chain rather than a wire rope for simplicity.

-Josh

So, what would you guys think would be the absolute lightest material I could use to build this?
Want it to be easy to build, install, and not cost any more than it needs to. But don't want it to fail either though...

I don't have the means to weld aluminum.

We use a single 2" square 3/16 tube as the main upright in a trailer hitch mounted moose skinning hoist. Works pretty good. the animals have weighed 1000 pounds.

Bike is 400 pounds, it will protrude 3' from the wall, ceiling is 10' tall.

I assume the uprights must be the strongest part?

Lighter costs more. The strongest part needs to to be at the highest stress point.

If you are going to cantilever it like the photo, you need to calculate the bending moment on the vertical members if the maximum load is placed at the furthest point away from them.

How are you attaching it to the floor and ceiling?

Into the ceiling I'd try 2 lag bolts to the ceiling rafters on each vertical member.
I figured bolting into the ceiling would put the shear force on the fasteners as a better alternative than pull out pressure if I attached to the wall.

In the floor I would hammer drill it down with good drop in wedge anchors.

The stresses on a cantilever set up like that scare me. Irrespective of how you design your structure you are going to end up relying on the strength of the existing wall which is probably unknown - and a failure would result in serious damage to both your prized positions. I would consider an arrangement with 4 uprights, one in each corner, and just make it wide enough to fit the front of the car between. At least then all the force is straight down onto the floor.

But I like the idea - I could use a work bench that moved up out of the way like that.

Last edited:
I want to make one of these... For as low cost as possible...

I was thinking of using square 2" tubing for the stationary posts....with 2 1/2" square tubing slided over top for the piece that would move up and down with pullys and cables.

If you tie your cables at the front edge of the platform, the cables will be carrying the cantilever load. There would be a tendency to bind which could be addressed by putting the anchor point at the middle of the platform. Two additional pulleys so the lift force is applied vertically would eliminate the binding tendency. A wheel arrangement at the top and bottom of your 2-1/2 tubing would lessen the friction. If it were me, I would put some positive mechanical locks to secure it in the raised position; maybe pins through the 2" tubing a additional straps from the ceiling. I would also put some sort of hinged fence or other means of securing the bike to preclude a possible tip over.

I also do not like lag bolts in wood. If possible, I would run machine bolts through with heavy washers or backing plates.

Finally, I would be very leery of relying on someone else's construction to provide adequate support without a thorough inspection. I don't know about construction in Canada but here I have seen garage walls erected where adjacent walls were not tied together. Nails guns are the weapon of choice here and many times the nails miss their mark. My preferred fasteners are construction screw. I seldom use nails. I would also be concerned about the quality of the lumber used. What we get for dimension lumber here is pretty pitiful. Fifty years ago, it was all old growth Douglas Fir. Now days it is something Home Depot call whitewood and often has bark on opposite edges and you can count the growth rings on two hands.

It sounds like a fun project. Good luck with it!

Bob

Jet ski lifts are similar in capacity. Look at them for ideas.

950_rotate.jpg

I like the safety of the idea suggested having 4 legs on the ground.
R

Back