Need encouragement just a wish

GK1918

Active User
Registered
Another year gone, winter in New England not much snow YET- so nobodys busting things. I reckon
someone here has done this, my wish. Already know I wont pull this stunt (from her). But I imagion
having the kid build oh maybe a 10'X18' building inside the shop nice white sheetrock sliding glass
window with small counter locking entre door. On paper three lathes, BP mill,shaper , all drill press (4)
maybe a small desk will fit. Keep thinking way back I worked in Raytheon it was called the white room where
we wore booties and space like paper suits. For expoxied boards, absoulutly no dust, climate controled.
Main reasoning is mainly heat. My shop is killing me with oil. Ill have my space, he will have his; nother
words we are mixing a machine shop with heavy truck repair business. My ceiling was white, now its
brown from all his welding which he's gotta do. In my mind if somebody needs a shaft turned keyed
or whatever for a snowblower the shaft is 30bucks fuel oil $20 whats that 2 gal. now I may as well
stay in the house. So a 10x18 and say 8'ceiling & my little old fashioned kero heater will heat in mins.
verses 40x50 with 16foot ceiling. In closing I think of perhaps even a screwed together pre fab
even to build it wont even be close to fuel oil costs. And I will not be offended, if said, the old mans
going off his rocker, I know she will. Also I timed its like 4hrs of heat on before even thinking about
doing some machining .... another sams wishful thinking

Go for it. Easy to heat plus you could have AC in the summer!

The small room makes sense inside his shop. You will need to buy a heater that vents in and out of an outside wall so you don't get gassed by carbon monoxide. If you insulate it a small electric heater should keep it at 65 deg's I would think if you keep the doors closed. The bottom line is "are you having fun"? Putzing in the shop? I think many of us have thought about the costs of having a hobby. If your doing this for a job, then money is important to keep "Her" off you back. If you like going out to the shop to escape from "her" then money is no problem...ha ha Good luck and stay warm.

It makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not sure that 10' is enough on the one side. A bridgeport with a man standing at it takes up 6-7' off the wall which leaves the wall behind you useless for anything but some pictures.. If you could eek out another 2' in that direction, that would be my preference. A vented, gas fired, space heater would be the way to go. I have a 40,000 btu, propane fired, space heater in my 20 x22 insulated garage and it'll be 20 degrees when i walk in and 15 mins later it's at 60 degreees. And in the summer it'll be easy to cool too.
I think 12 x16 would be a little better for usable wall space.

Just my 2 cents. I live in CT, I know exactly what your climate is. :))

The space above it could be used as a storage loft if you frame the ceiling like a floor and use 3/4" plywood on it. With a wooden stair case framed on the side of the room it could be really usable storage for spare parts and inventory etc...

Marcel

Hey, people set up little machine shops with little machines in closets. You don't have to do everything in aircraft hanger sized shops. The only thing you really need to plan out in a small shop is the work envelope of the machines and storage. Make sure that things don't interfere with each other and it can be worked into an advantage. When I am turning large parts hanging out of the spindle in my lathe, I control the whipping by hanging things off the mill next to it.

Just pay close attention to table heights and how things fit together.

I have 2 milling machines and 2 lathes, a welder, compressor, drill press, grinder and other stuff I am embarrassed to list in an 8x10 space ... if you are working by yourself you don't need a lot of space ... just think through how you want to arrange things for maximum utilization. Don't be afraid to use pegboard. Small spaces are easier to heat and keep cool - and clean. GO FOR IT!!!:))

A freind of mine had a shop similar to this. He left the side wall easy to unscrew and move so he could get the larger machines in and out as he bought and sold.

It makes perfect sense to me.

I'm not sure that 10' is enough on the one side. A bridgeport with a man standing at it takes up 6-7' off the wall which leaves the wall behind you useless for anything but some pictures.. If you could eek out another 2' in that direction, that would be my preference. A vented, gas fired, space heater would be the way to go. I have a 40,000 btu, propane fired, space heater in my 20 x22 insulated garage and it'll be 20 degrees when i walk in and 15 mins later it's at 60 degreees. And in the summer it'll be easy to cool too.
I think 12 x16 would be a little better for usable wall space.

Just my 2 cents. I live in CT, I know exactly what your climate is. :))

The space above it could be used as a storage loft if you frame the ceiling like a floor and use 3/4" plywood on it. With a wooden stair case framed on the side of the room it could be really usable storage for spare parts and inventory etc...

Marcel

Why not use a pull down ladder instead of giving up the floor space required for a stairway.

Thanks everyone although this only requires one side one front and top and yes good top to get rid of
more junk but good junk. The furnace is in the front corner and more than 30yrs I have a pvc 4inch
with tees pointing down running 50 feet to the rear. If I capped the tees and put the thermostat in
there it should heat that up in moments thus at 70* the thermostat will be satisfied and most likly the
main shop may well be 40* I already think a knife switch or something to disable the original shop
thermostat. Then if the boys gotta do something he can switch on the main shop thermo. I gotta
freind down the road his engine rebuilding shop has one of those mini roll top doors just enough for
a small fork lift. I like that. I will draft up a floor plan and see if I can scan it. so far I got all yea's
and her one nay. think ill win thanks

Back