Need help adjusting to troubleshooting for others (as lead person)

I think you had better try to get out of the position you are in. You sound like you are not ready for it,and will end up on the short end of the stick if you get fired. Explain to the owner that you are only 21,and not yet experienced enough to handle the job. Ask for another position in the shop where you are not under the demands of this job. As an employer,I'd rather hear the truth from an employee than not,and have expensive damage and delays instead. I hope the person who supervises you is not a jerk.

I don't know how he will react,but getting fired for incompetence is not going to look good on your resume,and that may well be the reason they put down,even though you had done your best under the circumstances. It will be very hard to get another job in spite of you trying to explain to another shop what really happened. They will always believe the last employer and not you. You had better believe this.

Last edited:
haha, i'm was/is in the same position. We just hired a guy with 10 years experience at the local supermarket.

The key is to train properly, and make sure it's the right people, and pay them a wage so they can never leave.

if you can get in the position to be able to PICK who is hired, your life will be much better. you will also be able to get rid of them easier, and they'll HAVE to listen to you then, instead of sitting back and waiting for you to do the job.

remember, you can't do the work for them. If they can't hack it, find someone else who can.

Shade, after reading your post I'll have to say that I admire you for a couple of reasons. At your age & skill level it sounds like you're trying to be a team player in a very demanding situation. Second, I admire you for being willing to seek advice from other seasoned machinist. This shows maturity.
You mentioned in your last paragraph of being faced with a possible suspension. If this did happen & you were faced with finding another job, just remember that you've got this post & the time line to go with it that can explain what really happened. After reading your post & seeing your concern for the situation, I wouldn't be afraid to hire you.
I know this is not an answer to your immediate problem but at least you've got your side of the story posted.

It sounds like you are doing a lot more than some one with your experience level should be doing. Pat yourself on the back for learning so much in a short amount of time.

With that said, The place you are working at has some serious problems. It sounds like they fired the guys making good $$$ and put a rookie in their place to save them a few bucks. Looks like karma is getting them pretty good. It takes years to become a machinist, they cant expect to have some one fresh off the temp agency running the shop that fast.

Shade, Lots of good , mature advice above. Without being too cynical I will throw out some ideas you won't get in text books. Management philosophy is always at work in a company. Sounds like the company promotes "trial by fire." You have indeed been dumped into a very difficult situation. You should be aware that you have scarce tech skills that are in demand in many areas, despite global economics and manufacturing jobs dwindling in the USA. Larger urban areas are probably the best bet for you. There are unfilled metalworking jobs in this area of the country. It is difficult to change jobs. Most corporations seek rural areas for cheaper labor pools (no offense , please), and that curve of wage and hour applies from utilty workers on up (high management excluded, of course).

You have not mentioned any chalk talk sessions for new employees, nor other "set up men" to help you? Some companies believe in riding the horse to death. I have seen it. If you can not strike a balance for your personal health , plan to get out. A relative of mine let a company grind herself up to a breakdown which took months of recovery. You might be surprised at the value of so called "head hunters." There are pros which will sell you to needy companies for a fee (often employer paid) , and there are free services at state or county unemployment agencies which list employers openings. Go on line and look. Be aware of the wage/salary structure for your skills as you advance. If you are not there, keep looking and move around if necessary. This is difficult.

People skills will come. Unfortunately, seminars and texts are only a partial aid. Progressive companies with advanced industrial relations departments safeguard their employees , knowing that a better bottom line results. They do not overload them. You are way ahead of where I was at 21 by asking for advice, and just look at the response! Keep on keeping on and good luck.

Last edited:
Someone put a rope around your neck Shade. Not everyone can be a lead person. It takes years to get that far. Not only do you need to know the job like the back of your hand but you need to become knowledgeable in people skills. At this point you are in a bad position. As George pointed out I would sit down with management and talk to them in depth about what happens when you get overwhelmed. So far you have been lucky. You both need to get on the same page.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good advice here. The only thing that I would add is to stop, take a breath, and evaluate the situation before jumping in. Don't let other people waiting rush you into making a mistake and don't be afraid to tell your boss that you need time and less pressure to do the job correctly. As the old saying goes "haste makes waste". It may take a little longer on the front end, but how much time is it going to save you in the long run?

I have not worked on computer controlled machines, but I wholeheartedly agree with what Ray C posted.

Shade,
Wow, I have been in this industry 33yrs and have never. I mean never seen
a better exchange of need for advice and the quality of advice you received.
200+yrs worth of on the job advice you can bank on for the rest of your life.
Every piece from both sides hit home with me and were spot on.
The posters here giving you advice are not only good but steller, no bull**it
and to the point. They know, been there.
You take there advice and with the care you showed, you will go places.

Take Care,
Best of luck to you,
Rick

In reading your post I get the impression that you are definitely overloaded in your work. The word "assume" comes to mind here and my suggestion is when someone has a problem don't "assume" they have done everything correctly up to the point of the problem or that the machine is still in specification. A discussion with management is necessary about your being spread to thin as a leadman and production worker at this time. It also affects the resulting production costs/time. In my opinion you are very valuable to the company as a programmer/set-up person/trouble shooter. Good advice has been given about your situation and especially about looking out for number one, it is critical. You mention disciplinary action (threatened suspension), take the time to be sure your own work gets done professionally, keep a log about helping others and who they are and time spent. It will show the time you are spending away from your work to assist other workers. If this is done with managements approval it may well be a means of retaining the more qualified employees. You have impressed me and I wish you the best.
Have a good day
Ray

Back