Need Help: Choosing a mill

It sounds like the round ram requires you to tram again if you move it. Dovetail does not.

With vari-drive, I would want to test under power and adjust it through the speed range.

I'm just outside of Cleveland, OH. Very machine rich. Most of the machines I have been looking at are in the $1500-$2500 range. But they come with nothing but the mill.
That's about the same price I paid 20 years ago for a 2J model that looks identical to the first one. Mine was built in 1974 and didn't have the power feed on the X axis or a digital readout. It did come with both metric and imperial scales on the axis dials, 1 broken end mill and a vice.

The round ram (M series machines) were only 1/2 to 1 hp. The spindle was either #2 Morse, #7 B&S, or B-3 Taper. They could only handle up to 1/2" end mills, and the quill travel was 3 1/2"

By comparison the 2J head (variable speed) series with the dovetail ram of that era came with a 1 1/2 hp motor. The standard spindle was R8 with a capacity of 3/4". They had a quill travel of 5", and power down feed.

Both could be purchased with a variety of table sizes ranging from 32" to 48". The standard 9" x 42" 1 1/2hp 2J machines weighs in at about 2,200 lbs.

Here's a link to a Bridgeport brochure from Sterling Machine. It gives the detailed differences between the machines and types of heads.

This brochure was a huge help. Thank you!

I have a 1963 SB 13” lathe and a 1984 BP 2J2 vari-speed mill. They both have 3 phase motors.
I run a rotary phase converter with a 10hp motor to make up the 3rd leg. They are all Delta motors.

I know a lot of guys like to run a VFD. I just don’t like the idea of running a motor designed for a certain rpm at a lower rpm. If you do you can start running into cooling problems with a big load on the motor.

Watch Craigslits and ebay for good deals. It may take a little time to find a mill in good shape in your price range. But they are out there. I paid 4K for my BP with a Vice, DRO and power drawbar.
I’m retired and use the machines for hobby and a little gunsmith work. They both work great for my needs.

Regarding parts availability for BP clones, by definition the clones have the same parts hence the same availability.
I believe every part for Bridgeports is currently available, and if this is not correct, please update me?

I've settled on getting a Bridgeport.

When I'm ready to get one, I'll probably keep a look out for a 2J head, and if not, a J head, on a series 1. It'd be nice to find one with a vice, power feed and a DRO already on it. I have plenty of time right now.

I'll probably start getting serious this summer and hope to find one by fall or spring of next year.

There's a gravel pad right next to my workshop that I would like to get concrete poured on first. It'll make moving anything that big into the shop so much easier.

I've got a Jet 9x49, 2004. R8 spindle, VS head that I really like. I had to replace the belt but the rest of it looked fine. The VS system is really simple. 3 phase 3 hp, Jet X axis feed. I added a 3 axis DRO and a knee power feed. Came with a poor vice a few endmills and an angle plate. Came out of a production shop with original manual and parts book. It weighs about 2400#s but I have access to a 5000# forklift. It seems like a well made machine and Jet is still making a very similar machine. I suspect it is just as good as a BP, certainly for my use. Don't know what it cost me as I bought all the equipment left in a factory that was closing out in Michigan. Sold off some of it on site. Hired a rigger and a semi to haul the rest to Lincoln, NE. The mill was just one of the small items at the end that I bought along with several other things they just wanted to clear the place. So I don't know what it cost. Not much. What I thought was going to be the best deal of the lot turned out to be the worst. A large German CNC machine that simply cost too much to keep running. I'm currently scrapping it.

As for Bridgeport's and their clones in this case "clone" only implies the machines are similar in design and function. They are not necessarily identical. There have been a number of threads on other boards discussing the interchangeability of parts. It pretty much comes down to Some Do, Some Don't. Each clone manufacturer has either taken some short cuts or made some improvements.

Your best source of information as to what parts fit various brands is H&W Machine Repair and Rebuilding.

Back