Need help identifying Bridgeport

Mgdoug3

Registered
Registered
609794701.jpg609794638.jpg

I went and looked at this mill and a 17" Leblond lathe. Both looked in good condition and has all the tooling with them. I got a good deal so I took a gamble on the mill since I know nothing about mills. First question, does anyone know what model this is and where to find a manual? Serial number is MD5135.

I turned the mill on and it would stall easily trying to cut. I noticed it was hooked to a static phase converter so I'm not sure if it was a dumb operator, motor going south or the static converter cutting the 1 HP motor.

I'm planning to pick up the mill, lathe, tooling and machinist tool box next weekend. It was a friend who bought a farm who needs to get rid of it. I think I paid him a fair price. He was happy to get it out of the shed and I paid less than mills I've seen on Craigslist.

I believe that is an M head, round ram with a shorter table like 32" or 36" which are nice hobby size machines. Original power feed which may need some work. Looks like a swiveling vice too. Nice.
The static converter only gives 2/3 power at best but the capacitors inside may be old and weak. At least it ran well enough to test it.
You can get a VFD for it for little money and get full power.
How about the lathe? Got any pics?
-Mark

That's a M head. The "M" in the serial number confirms. Go here and you'll most likely find a manual.

You'll have to take measurements and see what the spindle taper is. They came a couple of ways; with a Morse taper #2 (which mine has) and B&S taper IIRC. Definitely not R8. I doubt you'll really need a full HP for the work of a hobbyist. I mounted a 1/2 HP motor on mine when it was mounted on my horizontal B&S mill and used a jack shaft to slow down the spindle RPMs because they are quite fast for a lot of work that I do.

Ted

Be sure to check what taper it uses as I think the M-Head used something odd (not r-8, maybe MT2?).

as far as i know, M heads came in 2 flavors, B&S9 and MT2
i spent a lot of time in front of an M head

I think it's MT2 but can't confirm until I go pick it up. I remember the bits were tapered and had a flat spot for a set screw to hold it in. I'm looking forward to getting it home and going over it.

I think before the owner passed away, he was getting ready to polish the crankshaft. The old quick change tool holder is off and laying at the end of the lathe. I'm assuming polishing since the 3 jaw chuck is on. If he was turning it, I'd assume he would use the 4 jaw.

I currently have a nice Clausing 4913 but I can use the Leblond for bigger projects.

Back