Need help identifying gear hub

caster

Active User
Registered
I broke a change gear for my Smithy 3-in-1 AT-300. I am looking to replace or fabricate a new gear but I don't know what the gear bore is called. Its a metric gear 1 mod 63 tooth, the bore is 15mm but it has 4 keyways at right angles that measure 4.75 mm wide (my 3/16 broach fits perfectly) by 1.5mm deep. Can anyone identify what type bore this might be?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Caster

change gear1.jpg

change gear1.jpg

I don't think that you'll be able to buy that exact bore from anyone other than smithy. But you can get that gear from a gear vendor with a different bore and finish it yourself with the broach you got. I've finished quite a few gears from off the shelf vendors, boring and keying them to the size that I need. On some of them I even cut the gear width and hub down to a narrower size because they didn't have the width that I needed. Good luck

I've never laid hands on a Smithy machine before, but it appears like the gear is made to slide on a 4 spline shaft. Is it for a part of the machine that can be engaged or disengaged? If you can't get one directly from Smithy, Xalky's idea about modifying a stock aftermarket gear is excellent. Especially since you have a keyway broach. I would also watch eBay for parts. Smithy is popular enough that there may be one floating around out there somewhere. If you have a part number, that makes it even easier.

GG

You don't even need to do any broaching. Get a new gear (with some arbitrary hole) and turn down your broken gear so that only a hub is left. Then drill the new new gear to match and press the new gear and old hub together with a very tight interference fit. It won't slip but if you're worried add some scratches before pressing.

Thank you all for your help. I gather I have 3 options; 1) contact Smithy and get a replacement, 2) buy a close match and machine it to fit, 3) make your own.

I researched close matches and am having problems finding the 63 tooth gear, its not a standard or common size. I reached out to Smithy but have not received any replies, so I will try to make my own.

EDIT: Smithy responded to my query, they sell the gears and are very reasonably priced. Although its more cost effective to buy the 2 broken gears I still want to make the gears myself.

The challenges I need to overcome are; cutting the gears and making the bore.

I have been wanting to cut gears and now I have an opportunity to both replace broken parts and expand my lathes capabilities. My lathe can cut 11-40 tpi threads. By adding 24, 80 & 90 tooth gears I can cut 6-10 tpi threads. I searched for module 1 gear cutters. The standard cutters have size ranges so I would need to purchase two or three cutters to make the sizes I need and they are somewhat expensive. I researched making a gear cutter and I had success in finding an inexpensive way of making a cutter for all the sizes I need.

As to the bore, I needed a bushing for the broach that had a keyway cut at 90 deg to the broach.

I made the bushing from some scrap, turned to 15mm diameter with a 19mm flange. Used the spin indexer and milled 2 groves at 90 deg, one for the broach and the other to index the keyway.

I found a website http://www.helicron.net/workshop/gearcutting/ that described a hybrid cutter. I followed the instructions and made a prototype cutter from scrap 5/8" steel rod and I cut a gear out of an aluminum sprue to validate the process. The resulting gear meshed well, I am very happy with the cutter and gear.

Now that I know I can do it I will create a members project and show the process. The replacement gears will be made of steel, the cutter will be made from tool steel and hardened.

Thanks again,

Caster

gears.jpg

gears.jpg

Last edited:
A little late, but I had to do a similar task. I had to remake this gear along with two broaches as the ID of the metal piece was metric, but the outside dia of the gear was standard. I also made an arbor of sorts to turn the final OD of the gear and then to place it in the dividing head to cut the gears. I had made a small mistake on the 90deg broach as I did not have it properly centered, but I was able to correct and use the part anyway.
20150103_201415_resized.jpg

20150103_201415_resized.jpg

Back