Need Help In Cutting My Aluminum Rods

Abrasive wheels will tend to clog up when cutting aluminum same as a grinding wheel will.

Get e relatively FINE tooth blade for cutting the small diameter rods you are working with otherwise it will grab and stall your motor with very bad things happening after that.

I would think on the 185 mm (7.25 Inch) blade for that saw you will want no less than 80 teeth, more would be better.

The last thing you want is for the diameter of the rod you are cutting to be able to fit between (2) teeth).

The general rule for teeth is to have at least 3-4 in contact if at all possible more even better..

The only problem I see with the abrasive cut off machines is that they don't work well on aluminum. The wheels tend to clog with aluminum. Maybe a water based cutting fluid spray would help, but I'm not sure, I've never tried it. It should cut the stainless just fine.

As the video demo showed the abrasive wheel is basically GRINDING it's way thru the part not cutting.

If you need a clean cut to mount in a collet after you are done then a Blade is the way to go.

Abrasive wheels will tend to clog up when cutting aluminum same as a grinding wheel will.

Get e relatively FINE tooth blade for cutting the small diameter rods you are working with otherwise it will grab and stall your motor with very bad things happening after that.

I would think on the 185 mm (7.25 Inch) blade for that saw you will want no less than 80 teeth, more would be better.

The last thing you want is for the diameter of the rod you are cutting to be able to fit between (2) teeth).

The general rule for teeth is to have at least 3-4 in contact if at all possible more even better..

Thank you.. this helps me understand! Problem with that Evolution Rage is.. I think they only do that one circular blade. I'll have a look tho.. but at least I know what kind of teeth I should be aiming for. :)

I have used cemented carbide teeth to cut aluminum plate before. I have a Harbor Freight miter-saw with this type of blade. If I was only cutting a few pieces of aluminum stock I would use it.

Abrasive cutoff wheels are for steel or iron rods and angle iron. They throw a lot of sparks and grit.

Cut rods to workable length 3-4', then bundle them about (2") and use a chop saw.

I gotta say I'm impressed. Never had any experience with a blade like that on a cut-off saw, only abrasive blades. Sure looks like the ticket, though. I might even get one myself.

I have a small 7" abrasive chop saw that I got at Northern Tools, very similar to the one pictured earlier. It isn't a bad little saw and is pretty good for cutting small stock.

Another option would be a bench top portable band saw. Little Machine shop has one, but they are currently out of stock. Grizzly also makes one for about the same price $250 US that is available on Amazon. You might search UK sources. I bet someone sells them. It would be perfect for your project.

This is the Grizzly version. It can be detached from the stand and used Handheld.
http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-J1T-1...d=1428105251&sr=8-6&keywords=portable+bandsaw

grizzly port bandsaw.jpg

Back