Need Help Installing Aliexpress Dro--

Bob V

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi,
I have an old Van Norman 16 mill, and I just got an aliexpress DRO to install on it--need a little help here--
-I was reading about installing these DRO's on this forum and one fellow said "one hole was off by a few thou-- but I fixed it" (may not be exact quote but close enough). -- So this got me thinking-- I've just learned how to drill accurate holes where I want them using my mill, edgefinder, center drill etc. --but now I'm installing the DRO on the mill and I suppose I have to drill the holes for the dro sensors and rails using a hand drill?? How can I get within a "few thou" using a hand drill--much less have the holes really straight/true??
Any help appreciated-- not too happy about having to drill on my nice old mill (born the same year as me!),
Thanks in advance,
Bob

It may be time to add a drill press to your shop. Comes a time you'll want to drill a hole while your mill is busy...

Does not the manufacturer of the scales provide the user with a reference surface for installation?

RCWorks, thanks, but the holes have to be drilled in the mill-- can't do that on a drill press-
Wreck- I got some installation instructions emailed to me by a member of this forum-- very helpful!
This forum is great.
Bob

Bob,
Just take your time with the hand drill--use some aids if needed to align the drill straight (90* angle or just a block of wood will help)
There is really quite a bit of "play" when locating the holes for mounting the scales (if you lay them out right the first time--which I did not:confusion:) Got in to big of a hurry.

It does suck drilling holes where none were before---but it is well worth it. I really like my DRO and it works great for my hobby needs.

Thanks, Joe.
Much appreciated--

What I did and others have done is mount the Scales to aluminum bars machined on the mill, then mount the bars to the mill, This arrangement allows you to locate the screws to the mill exactly where you want them. It also allows you to use existing tapped holes that may be present on the mill. As was the case with my Y Axis, I used 2 of the tapped & counterbored holes that are in the base of my mill, I used convex/concave aligning washers (available at McMaster Carr)to get the mounting bar vertical. Here is a link to the thread I started on my install:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/dro-install-on-mill.46586/#post-396019
Hope that helps.
Eddy

Yeah, I forgot about the slide on the base...

Thanks, Eddy-- much appreciated-- I think I'm getting it figured out-- with the help of all you guys.
I got one scale/sensor that works about half the time when I hook it up-- don't know if it will settle down or remain a problem--
Best regards,
Bob

Bob,
The one thing I don't like about my DRO is the wiring connections to the reader head are really touchy, especially the power cord, maybe be the connections.

Back