Need help making a couple screws

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
It should be easy, but here I am. The issue is I need to make some wood screws to secure metal into a gunstock. The screw heads need to be a specific diameter and slotted. That's the easy part. The hard part, the part I need advice on is the threads. What thread should these be? what is a wood screw thread?

Maybe visit a well stocked OLD SCHOOL hardware store to first, find the size of screw you need.

Next, see if you can find any screw with the correct size head.

If you can find BOTH, hand them to the old guy that knows how to order things and see if he can find the correct one.

If that does not work, look for a correct size screw with a head close that can be modified, or large enough to make correct size.

You place Dowell in the lathe, face then center drill.

Drill pilot then insert screw, now use lathe to shape the head.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Check Mc Master Carr. They have literally 100’s of different kinds of wood screws.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Is there a way to modify an existing screw? If you can find a screw with an oversize head, you are in business. Sometimes you can find a screw and just machine it to what you need. I have done this a few times.

I have a large inventory of nos wood screws let me know what you need, flat head or round head, what diameter, length? If I have, I can send you a few.

The local-ish ACE just finished "upgrading" their hardware aisles (was a real mess in the interim, nobody knew where anything was since the old cabinets had been temporarily moved aside in no particular order). The new selection includes a wider range of modern hardware, plus gun screws (very nice to dress non-gun things up) and a handful of drawers with antique-like hardware, made so it looks handmade-ish. Your local store may have a similar selection.

Unfortunately, the store that @tq60 referred to no longer exists anywhere near me. There were two of them30+ years ago, and the remaining one only has a few older items left (unfortunately the old guys that remain know less than the new hires at the ACE). I have fond memories of Charlottesville Hardware, in the heart of downtown Charlottesville, VA almost 50 years ago: five floors of everything from furniture to toilets and everything in-between. I once asked for some hardware cloth (galvanized, 20-ish gauge, 1/4"square welded mesh) – a little old guy (older than I am now) led me to the manually-operated elevator and we rode up the the fifth floor; pulling the chains on the pendant lamps as we walked, we went down an aisle, turned right and he reached out and grabbed a roll of what I had asked for.

Thanks, this is what I need:
products-Wood-Screws.jpg

They are supposed to fit flush into these sling swivel mounts:
Custom-Sling-Swivel-scaled.jpg

The mounts I have are about 30 years old and the manufacturer doesn't make them anymore. I ordered some screws from their website but the diameter of the head is wrong. Ideally they would be a slip fit and be sanded down flush to give a very precise fit.

I have looked all over, the issue is finding a head deep enough to fit. I can make them, just trying to figure out what threads to cut. I'm thinking something along the lines of tpi or so.

Thanks, this is what I need:
products-Wood-Screws.jpg

They are supposed to fit flush into these sling swivel mounts:
Custom-Sling-Swivel-scaled.jpg

The mounts I have are about 30 years old and the manufacturer doesn't make them anymore. I ordered some screws from their website but the diameter of the head is wrong. Ideally they would be a slip fit and be sanded down flush to give a very precise fit.

I have looked all over, the issue is finding a head deep enough to fit. I can make them, just trying to figure out what threads to cut. I'm thinking something along the lines of tpi or so.
They look like straight threads with just a short lead on the steep taper, so other than being coarse shouldn’t be much different than single-pointing any other thread. TPI will be determined with a thread pitch gauge or old school by counting the number of threads over a measured length,

Back