Need help picking a bandsaw (largish).

K30

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am in fairly desperate need of a horizontal bandsaw for the shop, for any number of projects, not just cutting stock down. Though, that's probably what it will do the most of. I'm looking at anything from 10" solid (aluminum) on down, steel I beam, tubing etc. I am not a production shop, so I don't need a hydmech or anything snazzy like that. It would be really nice to be able to mitre 45 degrees. I can live with single or 3 phase (hardwired to the house, not rpc or vfd, I have all the capacity in the universe). There seems to be VERY little info out there on Taiwan saws in that range. I have been looking at something like a Rong-Fu variable speed. The website is garbage though, and I'm having a tough time telling what features which model has, what the actual warranty is, and for dang sure what dealers I should be looking at.
I'm open to suggestions, I allocated a pretty fair budget to this thing, and I'm not opposed to buying a used higher quality machine, but again, really having trouble finding what I'm after. A little help my dudes?

Epay has 1000s of them if you can find one close .

If you’re considering a new machine I would take a look at an Ellis 1600, 1800, or 2000. The nice things about these machines is the fact that the head swivels rather than the vise. They are relatively simple construction, easy to use, and almost bullet proof.

They are very popular in this area, probably because they’re made only a few miles down the road. The shops I know that have them are quite satisfied with their performance and longevity.

If looking for used i would suggest a Startrite 175 or 250. They’re a bit more expensive than the Ellis machines but again nearly bullet proof. I’ve had an H175 going on 20 years. The machine itself is close to 40 years old and still runs like new.

That Startrite looks like my Peerless and they are bullet proof . Heavy also .

Here are a couple pictures of a Startrite H175. It's a smaller one with a 7" x 11" capacity. It weighs in at about 400 lbs., has a 3/4 hp 120-volt motor, coolant capacity, and 3 speeds of 60 fpm, 100 fpm, and 120 fpm. I dislike the mess coolant makes so I've always used it dry.

Attachments

• DSC09973.JPG
    DSC09973.JPG
    431.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC09974.JPG
    DSC09974.JPG
    424.7 KB · Views: 22
The nice things about these machines is the fact that the head swivels rather than the vise.
Swivel head is really nice when you're doing a lot of different angles. I use a Grizzly G0613, doesn't meet your "largish" criteria, but for my use I wouldn't buy a horizontal that wasn't swivel head.

While maybe not in the "largish" category, I sure like my Jet.
When not in use I can wheel it out of the way thanks to a swivel wheel mod I did on the light end.

Swivel head is really nice when you're doing a lot of different angles. I use a Grizzly G0613, doesn't meet your "largish" criteria, but for my use I wouldn't buy a horizontal that wasn't swivel head.
I would agree that the swivel head makes miter cuts much easier. However I wouldn’t necessarily pass up on a saw that doesn’t have that feature.

High on the list for a used saw would be the quality and the asking price. I picked up the Startrite about 20 years ago from a shop that needed a larger machine. Rather than run it into the ground they sold it for a price I couldn’t refuse.

Forte is another brand that needs to be mentioned, we had one where I worked although it was an older model but was built like a tank, here is a different model I found while looking for a picture :

I like the idea of wheels on the saws . PROJECT upcoming . :encourage:

Back