Need help replacing ball joints

Yep thanks !, like it here. Great climate, still have seasonal changes, really nice summers, and winter is not brutal.

How about a machinist's jack?
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...qmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_38k6gnel5w_e

or even a couple long bolts and coupler nuts to match?
https://www.amazon.com/Hard-Find-Fa...rd_wg=yQB4O&psc=1&refRID=QS34B2NFTN0MQQQY6EY1
Gets bolts long enough that when you partially thread the nut off the end that it just fills the gap.
The bolts are thin enough you could use more than one.

-brino

Brino,
Excellent ideas. I think the coupler nuts with long bolts should work well. I think home depot has them in stock so I should be able to get them there. Thank you !

Ive used a pipe an coupler to do this sort of thing. But the pipe needs to be really close to length or the threads get sloppy

Ok, I see what you mean. So the tube would sit in between the lower balljoint and the upper balljoint. And by it being adjustable I can squeeze it in between the socket over the lower balljoint and the underside of the top of the knuckle. The upper balljoint presses in flush.
Great idea ! Now I need to find the parts. I think I can do it.
Many thanks from a shop press rookie !

Randy is right on with this one. A piece of threaded pipe (slightly long) and one coupler would work great. Thread the pieces together, mark the pipe and cut to the desired length (so it barely fits). You could then unthread the coupler ever so slightly to get a tight fit.

If all else fails, you can go to Autozone or Advance and rent the special tool that's designed to do the job (see photo below).

1510778117106.png

Good luck!

-Jake

Randy is right on with this one. A piece of threaded pipe (slightly long) and one coupler would work great. Thread the pieces together, mark the pipe and cut to the desired length (so it barely fits). You could then unthread the coupler ever so slightly to get a tight fit.

If all else fails, you can go to Autozone or Advance and rent the special tool that's designed to do the job (see photo below).

Good luck!

-Jake

Thanks Jake, we won't mention the other times. :shhh:

Franklin or Hazet ball joint separators are super duty. Expensive, but get the job done.
The spacer tubes get destroyed after one or two uses. I've used heavy duty all thread with a wheel bolt the same thread size as the ball joint threads,
washers, end tube cap, hole drilled. The wheel nut gets welded to the all thread. Snap On makes a very hefty version of this tool. $$$$$
Just be careful with the knuckles "ears", they can break if spread to far. Ask me how I know. :) An Old ball joint can get seized in pretty good with the rust. Check out YouTube also.

Back