Need help selecting slitting saw setup

So , this thing came out of the never used box I emptied out a while back . Never got around to sorting thru it yet . But anyway , it IS for a 1" bore slitting saw , has a .750 straight shank and is still covered in the original factory oil ! :grin: Someone on here bought a few of the smaller arbors a while back , not sure who though any more . They call these stub arbors FWIW .

The white death is coming down pretty good here also . We may get 4" or so , and I don't have to go out in it . :)

Attachments

• IMG_8958.JPG
    IMG_8958.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_8959.JPG
    IMG_8959.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8960.JPG
    IMG_8960.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8961.JPG
    IMG_8961.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 21
That is why I would like a recommendation of the most common (if that even exist) used...

Cutting tool steel, aluminum... maybe later I will experiment with stainless steel, but not for a year or so...

price wise... less than 150.00 for the arbor if that gets me something good...
I'm in the same boat as you--I don't have any slitting saws and I think I want a couple of 'general purpose' blades to get me started. Tom Lipton (oxtoolco) did a Youtube video a few years ago that provides a decent introduction to the topic:

Bottom line, he recommended starting with 2 4-inch diameter blades--a 1/16" and a 1/8" thick--to cover 90% of common uses. He didn't specify an appropriate tooth count, however. In general, however, he says that high tooth counts are for very thin material and lower tooth counts are for deeper cuts. Just like hacksaw blades.

Craig

My Canadian connection ( son ) is sleeping in the next room . He got down from Toronto last night . Him and my daughter are on their way to Alaska this Sat. for 2 weeks . Anyway , I can now load the truck up and get stuff into Canada without the crazy shipping costs . :grin: I'm on the prowl for a Woodland Mills sawmill out of Canada . :encourage:

I'm in the same boat as you--I don't have any slitting saws and I think I want a couple of 'general purpose' blades to get me started. Tom Lipton (oxtoolco) did a Youtube video a few years ago that provides a decent introduction to the topic:

Bottom line, he recommended starting with 2 4-inch diameter blades--a 1/16" and a 1/8" thick--to cover 90% of common uses. He didn't specify an appropriate tooth count, however. In general, however, he says that high tooth counts are for very thin material and lower tooth counts are for deeper cuts. Just like hacksaw blades.

Craig
Watching...

I started out by buying a saw blade for a slit I needed to cut. Found a deal on a 4" diameter, 1/16" thick Niagara slitting saw on eBay. Discovered I needed an arbor to hold it. Seems obvious now, but that fact had escaped me! Tried to make one, (from plans on HM,) and couldn't quite get the plug to fit the bore all the way. The plug was a perfect fit to the saw - I hit the diameter dead on. Think I know why it flopped, so some day I will finish it. (Made the arbor before reading the Boring Thread!) Ended up buying some cheap, ugly, longer than a football field R8 arbor. The arbor would hit my vise studs, if I got too close to the vise. So I used a shorter stud. The arbor did what it needed to do, but it's an awkward long thing with a really long nut. Really don't like it, but it works. Will attempt to make some arbors again. The videos make it seem really easy, but the videographers have the advantage of experience. Besides, they get to edit off camera! Hope to do better next time.

I needed a narrower slit for a collet that I made for my DTI. Couldn't fathom spending $20 for the collet. Ended up with a small saw (still 1" arbor) at 0.020" thick. Saw blade cost was well under $20. Made the collet out of some 3/8" diameter 1144, drilled a 4mm hole through it and cut 4 slits (2 cuts) on each side of the collet. Works great and use the collet frequently.

Slitting saws are a great addition to the tool collection.

Aukai got quite a few of my cutters not long ago . I kept a few for myself just in case . In case of what , I don't know ? :D

For purchased arbors, Sierra American is very good for a reasonable price. Even better is a Martindale holder. Both have thinner caps to allow better access and they're hardened and ground for accuracy.

I would buy a straight shank holder, not an integral R8, because you often need to move that holder up or down in the collet a tiny bit to get the saw where you want it in Z.

Making your own is the best option but you need to be able to turn pretty accurately. If you're not confident in this, buy one from Sierra American or someone you prefer.

Saws come with all sorts of sized holes - 1/2" is most common for the thinner blades, 1" is common for bigger saws and 5/8" or 3/4" are also common but the choice of saws may be more limited. Many saws come with key slots that you will probably never use in the thinner saw thicknesses. Keep in mind that the bigger the saw, the more likely it is to spin in the arbor with a heavy cut. For example, a 4" saw with a 1/2" arbor hole is likely to spin when taking a big cut.

Slitting saws are meant to cut to full depth from the start. You do not need to sneak up on the final depth; set the depth and go in one pass. Use a lot of cutting oil. When feeding manually, feed at a rate that allows you to feel a slight resistance to the feed; it will be faster than you think it should be. This allows the saw to cut continuously without binding or chattering.

Speeds are important for slitting saws and it depends on the material, the size of the saw and number of teeth on the blade. Harder materials, higher tooth count and bigger saw diameter = slower speeds. My preference is to start slow and increase speed as tolerated. You are okay with silver or light amber chips in steel but you don't ever want blue chips as this much heat can ruin the temper of the blade.

I'm attaching a guide from Martindale that has some really good info.

Attachments

• Martindale Slitting Saw Guide.pdf
    335.6 KB · Views: 24
For purchased arbors, Sierra American is very good for a reasonable price. Even better is a Martindale holder. Both have thinner caps to allow better access and they're hardened and ground for accuracy.

I would buy a straight shank holder, not an integral R8, because you often need to move that holder up or down in the collet a tiny bit to get the saw where you want it in Z.

Making your own is the best option but you need to be able to turn pretty accurately. If you're not confident in this, buy one from Sierra American or someone you prefer.

Saws come with all sorts of sized holes - 1/2" is most common for the thinner blades, 1" is common for bigger saws and 5/8" or 3/4" are also common but the choice of saws may be more limited. Many saws come with key slots that you will probably never use in the thinner saw thicknesses. Keep in mind that the bigger the saw, the more likely it is to spin in the arbor with a heavy cut. For example, a 4" saw with a 1/2" arbor hole is likely to spin when taking a big cut.

Slitting saws are meant to cut to full depth from the start. You do not need to sneak up on the final depth; set the depth and go in one pass. Use a lot of cutting oil. When feeding manually, feed at a rate that allows you to feel a slight resistance to the feed; it will be faster than you think it should be. This allows the saw to cut continuously without binding or chattering.

Speeds are important for slitting saws and it depends on the material, the size of the saw and number of teeth on the blade. Harder materials, higher tooth count and bigger saw diameter = slower speeds. My preference is to start slow and increase speed as tolerated. You are okay with silver or light amber chips in steel but you don't ever want blue chips as this much heat can ruin the temper of the blade.

I'm attaching a guide from Martindale that has some really good info.
The Martindale catalog is interesting. Definitely has some good info on using slitting saws. Saved the pdf. Thanks for posting it.

Examining the pictures in the catalog for the arbors reveals that they are offering Sierra American arbors. The shapes, logo and coloring are identical to Sierra American. The use of the term Vibra-core is identical. The TIR's are the same. The shape of the mechanical drawing is nearly identical save for an unspecified length of the plug for the Martindale. I really do think the photos are Sierra American. Martindale may have offered special arbors, maybe even custom made, but the ones in the catalog seem to be Sierra American arbors. This isn't bad, but, did want to point it out.

I had a hard time finding a slitting saw arbor of good quality for slitting saws with 32mm diameter hole.

So like many other people before me I ended up making one. I used steel from an old hydraulic cylinder piston and it ended up working great for the jobs I've done so far.

Attachments

• PXL_20211223_150330512.jpg
    PXL_20211223_150330512.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20220105_204006044.jpg
    PXL_20220105_204006044.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20220115_135204679.jpg
    PXL_20220115_135204679.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20220115_143437855.jpg
    PXL_20220115_143437855.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 13
Well, I can confirm that this is exactly what I was looking for...

IMG_4149.jpeg

I will order the 4" saw blades next...

And yes, those are Sierra American arbors and the saw blades are from the Malco Saw Company

And these only protrude 1/8" on the bottom... excellent.

IMG_4151.jpeg

Back