Need Help Sharpening Carbide Lathe Bits

SmokeWalker

Registered
Registered
Hello Everyone,

I need to resharpen some tool bits as discussed above to the same or close to the same kind of sharpness I can get with HSS.

I can grind HSS on my HF 39797 grinder with included wheels no problem, but when I try to grind HSS on the new Silicon Carbide wheels, it's slow, and very…finicky. It's hard to remove enough material to get a nice hollow ground edge.

I'm trying to get the same kind of hollow ground on my carbide bits with the Silicon Carbide wheels (60 and 150) but though I can tell by using a marker on the surface that the grinder is removing material, I can't seem to get the shape I want.

Do I need to practice more?

Also, I am thinking about getting a Diamond wheel like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#diamond-grinding-wheels/=uvqnqb

And I'm wondering if that would work for my purpose. I've heard that you shouldn't grind freehand with a diamond wheel because it takes off too much material. That might be what I need. I have steady hands, but I'm wondering where to go next.

Any thoughts?

Pierre

Silicon Carbide (green wheels) are for carbide (non-ferrous) material. If you were grinding HSS on them I wonder if you glazed the surface of the wheel. I use them to grind carbide quite successfully, but they don't cut carbide as fast as aluminum oxide cuts HSS.

Greg

Don't use carbide much but I use a diamond wheel to sharpen brazed on carbide tools and it gives a nice finish, it's too fine for anything other than finishing so I sharpen often.

Bernard

Don't use carbide much but I use a diamond wheel to sharpen brazed on carbide tools and it gives a nice finish, it's too fine for anything other than finishing so I sharpen often.

Bernard
What grit do you use? What do you think of the McMaster wheels I linked to?

Silicon Carbide (green wheels) are for carbide (non-ferrous) material. If you were grinding HSS on them I wonder if you glazed the surface of the wheel. I use them to grind carbide quite successfully, but they don't cut carbide as fast as aluminum oxide cuts HSS.

Greg

Hey Greg,

I redressed the wheel with a dressing stick and I am pulling off stock, it's just SO slow!

What grit do you use? What do you think of the McMaster wheels I linked to?

Sorry but I've no idea what grit it is as it was an unmarked freebee...so I have no experience of other makers wheels.

But I do like the much reduced dust while using the diamond wheel.

Bernard

Sorry but I've no idea what grit it is as it was an unmarked freebee...so I have no experience of other makers wheels.

But I do like the much reduced dust while using the diamond wheel.

Bernard

And you grind freehand?

And you grind freehand?

I have a grinder with a small adjustable tilt table in front of a cup wheel, so I don't get a hollow grind but that's OK as I think carbide doesn't need to have too thin a cutting edge.

Bernard

I have the common chinese tool grinder with the green wheels. I took a diamond dresser and dressed the green wheel. It took the green wheel's dressing ability from dismal to nonexistent. Bought a diamond wheel, all happy now.

How must are planning to grinded carbide
I use mostly HS so if do a carbide or two time I use the standard wheel
I have gone down the road with carbide grinder and wheels.
I do a lot of grinding with a Home Depot wheel and it is cheap.

Dave

Hello Everyone,

I need to resharpen some tool bits as discussed above to the same or close to the same kind of sharpness I can get with HSS.

I can grind HSS on my HF 39797 grinder with included wheels no problem, but when I try to grind HSS on the new Silicon Carbide wheels, it's slow, and very…finicky. It's hard to remove enough material to get a nice hollow ground edge.

I'm trying to get the same kind of hollow ground on my carbide bits with the Silicon Carbide wheels (60 and 150) but though I can tell by using a marker on the surface that the grinder is removing material, I can't seem to get the shape I want.

Do I need to practice more?

Also, I am thinking about getting a Diamond wheel like this:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#diamond-grinding-wheels/=uvqnqb

And I'm wondering if that would work for my purpose. I've heard that you shouldn't grind freehand with a diamond wheel because it takes off too much material. That might be what I need. I have steady hands, but I'm wondering where to go next.

Any thoughts?

Pierre

Back