Need help wiring my sewing machine motor. I'd like to keep the magic smoke inside!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAN_IN_MN

Active User
Registered
Many of you may remember this thread. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/17869-Sewing-machine-RPM-reduction

Well, when I pulled the motor off, I didn't label the wiring. Shame on me! At the time, I thought I could remember.......... "thought" being the key word here!

I searched Singer's website and came up empty. I know there are guys on here that know their stuff with motors.

Here are a few pics of the setup.

I'm missing the wiring diagram for the motor.

Motor wiring. The solid wires come from the switch/cap. (upper left)

I'm guessing that I need to check what wires have continuity. Right?
WIRES ON MOTOR.jpg

Pic of the switch and cap. The power comes in on the right two screws from the cord.
Switch and CAP.jpg

Here are the questions of the thread.

Is this a start or run cap? (doesn't really matter, I know it works and I just want to know.)

How do I figure out what wires go to what on the motor end? I guessed on a bandsaw motor and the magic smoke escaped! I was really mad and upset at myself for that!

The motor will be wired for 110.

The rest of the tread is non-wiring related.

Thought I'd add a pic of the set screws I put in the hub I made.

Pulley hub mod.jpg
Here's another shot of the idler pulley (aka timing belt tensioner from a car) I had to add because of the larger pulley that was put on the top. The belt would have rubbed on the slot in the table if it wasn't there.
Sewing machine belt mod under.jpg

I'm excited to get this powered up to see how slow it will go. Slipping the clutch gets old! I'm hoping that I can keep the clutch engaged and walk around what ever it is I'm sewing.

Thanks for looking!

WIRES ON MOTOR.jpg Sewing machine belt mod under.jpg Pulley hub mod.jpg Switch and CAP.jpg

If your wires are color coded and you can find another exact model motor then you could perhaps compare the connections from that good motor and find which wire connects to what terminal.
Short of that you'd have to trace each individual wiring to the stator field coils to find out which one goes where.
Someone highly knowledgeable in motor construction and design should be able to figure out how to connect your unlabeled wires correctly if he has a clear view of the motor winding circuits.

I don't think anyone here could help you much by just looking at a bunch of unlabeled wires sticking out of an unfamiliar motor.

If your wires are color coded and you can find another exact model motor then you could perhaps compare the connections from that good motor and find which wire connects to what terminal.
Short of that you'd have to trace each individual wiring to the stator field coils to find out which one goes where.
Someone highly knowledgeable in motor construction and design should be able to figure out how to connect your unlabeled wires correctly if he has a clear view of the motor winding circuits.

I don't think anyone here could help you much by just looking at a bunch of unlabeled wires sticking out of an unfamiliar motor.

I agree more.

But I do believe they can help me figure out what each wire is hooked up to be it a run winding or a start winding. I could be wrong. Been there done that a few......I mean a lot of times in my life! :LOL:

I sure wish I could help ya Dan but the electric part of machinery is past me. I always hire that part out. :lmao:

"Billy G"

I too would like to help Dan, but so far I come up with or sounds like; a motor, from an industrial "Singer"- the motor has a clutch.
For some unknown reason someone disconnected all the wires?? OK who made the motor = make model & an all that stuff, so we
know what we are talking about. I doubt Singer was in the electric motor building business they probably bought them from the lowest
bid. Best I can do Is look at mine. You said 3400 ? I dont know but mine sounds like a jumbo jet engine winding up. Sounds like
20 grand or something. Oh what model is the machine I have a parts book for ( think its a S181-22 not sure) Im here and the machines
in the shop, so I'm guessing. Next off, I cant picture an electrical box (yours) on mine. Maybe I got one but I'll look.
sam

I sure wish I could help ya Dan but the electric part of machinery is past me. I always hire that part out. :lmao:

"Billy G"

Bill,

I agree with you about having a Pro check the wiring. I wasn't sure it that was a power switch or a breaker in that one photo. My furnace's blower as a stater capacitor that looks like his. I hope he can get it wired and running soon.

Well, maybe I'm asking for too much.....

I'll get the motor ID and post back.

Usually those type of motors have a set of start windings and run windings, I believe the capacitor is going to be hook to the start windings, and I can remember the rest. That must've been why one of the old guys I used to work with, told me if you got a dull mind carry sharp pencil. :jester:

My hope was someone could tell me how to determine what wires go to the start windings and run windings. I wasn't asking someone to tell me what colors to hook up to what.

Do they have different resistance values?

My hope was someone could tell me how to determine what wires go to the start windings and run windings. I wasn't asking someone to tell me what colors to hook up to what.

Do they have different resistance values?
Yes, you were essentially asking "..someone to tell me what colors to hook up to what." The colors of the wires can help in determining which color wires are connected to the switch, to the power cord, and to the capacitor on one end. That can help in starting to determine which colored wires go to which wires in the motor.

Ken

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back