Need Help With A Live Center!!!

Finster

Registered
Registered
I have this large live center I got in a box of odds and ends. It is much to large for my little 10" swing Sheldon. It has no markings that I can see. It also has a rough spot in the bearings so I want to take it apart and see if I can get it cleaned up and repacked. I'm looking to sell it on ebay and maybe get a buck or two for it. You will notice in the pics that there is a screw on the body. There is one on either side. If you remove them, there is a allen head set screw inside but you cannot unscrew it completely out of the hole. From what I have seen, there is only one allen head screw inside. This is old and heavy for it's size. So question's
#1 Does anyone know what brand name this is?
#2 Does anyone know how it comes apart?
#3 Can anyone give an educated guess on the taper?
#4 Any idea of value?

NCM_0230.JPG
NCM_0231.JPG

Looks like a 4 or 5 MT judgeing from the scale . If its a #3 , PM me .

Keep it, you may need it someday.

As far as value, it is worth approximately $00.00.

As for the taper, here is a JT chart, just measure it. I can't see the rear end of the thing, but perhaps if that screw was removed the rear end might unscrew?

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Jacobs Tapers.JPG

Sorry, but with no name on it and the 60° point has scars, you will probably not get much for it on eBay. I would keep it and get another live center that works for you at this time…Dave.

Just rebuilt 2 of mine,new correct upgrade bearings $42.00.Detective work to get apart,usually get taper with shaft out ,pack the hollow with bread less mess than grease and force a suitable shaft back in to force old bearings out. Warm bearing holder to 250*, freeze new bearings drop all back together. Quality bearings make nice upgrade. If thru hole from back,can use similar hydraulic method to get front apart.

"#4 Any idea of value?"
It's worthless, just send it to me and I will dispose of it in an environmental and safe manner. :D

CHuck the grumpy old guy

"#4 Any idea of value?"
It's worthless, just send it to me and I will dispose of it in an environmental and safe manner. :D

CHuck the grumpy old guy
I already don't like you! :D

I think I'll just ebay it as is and see what happens. I'll be honest and tell them it has a little stickion and sell as is.

Back