Need Help

jroma1

Active User
Registered
I want to thank all those members that responded to my last post concerning scissor type knurling tools. Since I am new to this type of work your comments and suggestions were very helpfull and educational.

Some months ago I ventured into and (before the knurling tool) attempted to make a tool holder for my QCTP,after many hours of
trying to machine a dovetail I finally succeeded in producing something,in my opinion,half decent.

PICT0004.JPG

The steel is 12L14 and I made everything except the set screws and the hex nut,what I would like to do is polish the entire dovetail side with what appears to be on the holders that came with my QCTP,a satin finish.

PICT0002.JPG

PICT0008.JPG

On the front,top,bottom and sides I would like to apply the black protective coating that is seen on a lot of this type of tooling,this is my question. Is there anyone out there that knows how this is done?

Any comments suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

John

PICT0004.JPG PICT0002.JPG PICT0008.JPG

Typically to do it yourself you use a product called "tool black".

Just Google it.

Gary

John;

If your Dovetail is tight this to get a new finish other than by had will be difficult. Now with that said if you can remove say .005 from the Dovetail side without proublem you can use a "Flycutter" in the mill taking .002 or .003 at a time and get the finish you would like. It's like using a face tool in the lathe. Fine cuts are the secret. Then color it as Gary suggested.
"Billy G" :))

This is strictly off the top of my head since I have never used tool black or know how it works. Since you made this tool holder, could you machine a new tool holder except for the dovetail and then apply the tool black? Once it is dry, machine the dovetails so they are clean of the tool black. I guess this is for those who are familiar with the product to answer for him.

This is strictly off the top of my head since I have never used tool black or know how it works. Since you made this tool holder, could you machine a new tool holder except for the dovetail and then apply the tool black? Once it is dry, machine the dovetails so they are clean of the tool black. I guess this is for those who are familiar with the product to answer for him.

To the best of my knowledge tool black doesn't change any dimensions. It's not like paint that coats the surface but rather like a dye or a stain for wood.

I have some and I use it all the time with no problems.

Gary

Gary is correct, Tool Black will not change any dimensions. If all you are looking for is the color to match your other holders, that is the way to go. I thought you were looking for a finer surface finsh.

"Billy G"

My thanks to Bill Gruby,GaryK and autonoz for their very informative responses.

John Romano
Philadelphia Pa

FWIW, you can also have a look at Caswell anodizing materials. http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/anodizing-products/anodizing-kits.html

I've been using it for steel and also their aluminum chemistry. The steel stuff works like a dream and is easy and long lasting. I've got some steel things that have been outdoors near Bay water for 3 years and haven't rusted. I avoid the aluminum as much as possible because it's time consuming and generally, a PITB (Pain In The Butt) but, it does work very well.

LOL... It will in-fact change dimensions a bit... Like about 0.000001" -LOL... Don't sweat it.

Ray

Back