need ideas for cleaning files

SE18

Active User
Registered
I gummed up a file from filing marine epoxy. The file cleaner doesn't get it out so I used a propane torch and it sort of melted out.

do you ever get a file gummed up and if so, how do you clean it out with the file card thing doesn't work?

Also, I have one file that's just worn down from usage, does anyone know what old files can be used for? I tend to hold on to things and find usages for them down the road. LOL

Thanks

I use the end of a razor blade and scrape out each individual tooth with it if the file rake doesn't work. You can make knifes out of them

I just revived a coupe of old files with a piece of copper tubing.
Put the file in a vice, stroke with the copper parallel the teeth of the file.
It is hard work but will clean out the file.
I use worn files for making chisels.
Great carbonsteel, but anneal the end you hit on or it will chatter.

Using a torch to clean a file is the last thing I would ever recommend. The very thin cutting edges of the teeth can instantly have the hardness removed by such a procedure. In fact,just leaving files in direct sunlight is harmful to files,according to old timers.

Washing your knives in hot water will indeed make them dull quicker. The exceedingly thin cutting edge must be protected from any kind of excess heat.

Ask a knowledgable butcher if he washes his knives in hot water. Especially one who works in a slaughter house.

Originally,file cards were just that: a stack of thin brass cards that would get down in the teeth when rubbed with the direction of the file teeth. Using a piece of copper accomplishes the same end; the copper wears to fit the profile of the teeth,pushing out debris accumulated between them.

I keep a piece of brass rod in my filing drawer and use it to push out stubborn particles that cling to the file. It gets used rarely if I keep my files chalked, though.

If it is a three square file I have made great scrappers out of them by grinding off the "teeth" on all three sides down to three sharp edges.

David

You can make lathe turning tools for a wood lathe. You may want to add compressed air to the cleaning with copper tubing.

Paul

I also use a single-edge razor blade. Yes it's tedious, but it gets to the bottom of the groove, and never touches the cutting edge if held at the right angle.

I

Also, I have one file that's just worn down from usage, does anyone know what old files can be used for?

Thanks
Do a search on "sharpening files" . There should be a lot of info out there. I have never tried it myself but others say it can be done.
bollie7

I use an old fashioned wire or brush type file card, in fact I used it earlier today. It has a needle pick on the back for cleaning out stubborn bits like aluminum.

I don't find chalk really helps for loading too much, just fills up the tooth's gullet and doesn't let the chip form properly. Imagine loading the teeth of an endmill with clay and expecting it to cut like normal. Because there is no where for the chip to go or form, it gets caught between the chalk and surface of the part being filed, scratching it. Plus, chalk is abrasive so it dulls the teeth every time you apply it.

For a cabinetmakers rasp, bastard file, it's okay. Not for single, double, or long angle "finishing" files.

Old files are of the highest quality and are a pleasure to use. Keep them sharp and in good condition, they are not made like they are used to any more. Some say new Nicholson files can be filed by old Nicholson files, that's the quality difference.

Keep them even if they are dull, they can be sharpened by a chemical process and sharpening them is cheaper than buying a new one. Here is a link to the company that sharpens them: http://www.boggstool.com/

Back