need indexable tool holder

777mechanic

Active User
Registered
i need some indexable tooling for a bxa holder so 1/2 by 1/2 holders are what i've been looking at right turn and left turn and straight . any good dealers on net you can lead me to would be great .

i need some indexable tooling for a bxa holder so 1/2 by 1/2 holders are what i've been looking at right turn and left turn and straight . any good dealers on net you can lead me to would be great .

I'm sure you will get a lot of advise on this topic. I myself prefer High Speed Steel tools that I grind myself. Yes it was a PITA at first but now I rather enjoy making them. Back to your original question> The Arthur Warner company makes tool holders and insert kits. Their inserts are HS steel. They are great for Hobby machines (typically older, slower machines) when the inserts get dull, you merely remove them and "massage" them on an oilstone for 10 or 15 seconds and they are as good as new. A lot of folks (myself included) like the Diamond Tool Holder from Eccentric Engineering. That is also HSS steel and is very simple to sharpen. (it comes with a sharpening fixture). Google Diamond Tool Holder and Arthur Warner. I have a few carbide brased tool bits but they are more work to sharpen than HSS. I have no experience with the cheap carbide indexable tool holders sold by everyone on the internet. I have only heard reports that some love them and some hate them and will tell you to save your money. I'm sure that you will get a response from someone that has one of them.

Earl

You might check out Shars, Wholesale Tool Company, CDCO Machinery and tools4cheap.net. Shars (discount_machine on ebay) has a set listed right now for less that $40 including free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-5PC-IND...420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0e2ab7f4 . If you are looking for higher end name brand stuff, check out Enco and Travers Tool, and you can find all kinds of new and used tooling listed on ebay. I bought an inexpensive set of 3/8" holders from Shars on ebay and can't say that I have had any problems that weren't my own fault (inserts can be a little brittle and break easily). I'm still cvery much a newbie...

Dan

Do you have a mill? If so, indexable tool holders are not that hard to make.

I too prefer grinding HSS. I seem to get a better finish on several different metals. The nice thing is, you can grind to suit or quickly touch up for nice finishes. What irritates me about index tooling, the carbide likes to chip at the critical moment when needed the most. Im sure once one goes through 1k of inserts, he will have a nice grasp on getting the most out of inserts. I wont stop using index tooling, it has its place. A good grinder, quality HSS and proper grinding wheels are invaluable in a home shop! Since getting a good grinder, I've been grinding all my stuff and put my index aside for as needed only. AR Warner makes some very nice stuff. I have their 1/2 threading tool and it works really well. They are 15 min from me so getting what i need is pretty easy.

thanks for the replies , i've been a woodworker for many years and i know all the online sites and tooling companies but know nothing about the metal biz. so i went to every website you guys suggested and talked to a couple of them about my needs and settled on the 1/2 x 1/2 shars 7 piece set and a few extra cutters .

Do you have a mill? If so, indexable tool holders are not that hard to make.

Yea, I will buy inserts from ebay at crazy deals and then make holders for them, you can make them positive or negative rake as you need them....

Yea, I will buy inserts from ebay at crazy deals and then make holders for them, you can make them positive or negative rake as you need them....

What is this "ebay at crazy deals" that you speak of? I searched ebay and got stiletto heel boots. :shocked:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure you will get a lot of advise on this topic. I myself prefer High Speed Steel tools that I grind myself. Yes it was a PITA at first but now I rather enjoy making them. Back to your original question> The Arthur Warner company makes tool holders and insert kits. Their inserts are HS steel. They are great for Hobby machines (typically older, slower machines) when the inserts get dull, you merely remove them and "massage" them on an oilstone for 10 or 15 seconds and they are as good as new. A lot of folks (myself included) like the Diamond Tool Holder from Eccentric Engineering. That is also HSS steel and is very simple to sharpen. (it comes with a sharpening fixture). Google Diamond Tool Holder and Arthur Warner. I have a few carbide brased tool bits but they are more work to sharpen than HSS. I have no experience with the cheap carbide indexable tool holders sold by everyone on the internet. I have only heard reports that some love them and some hate them and will tell you to save your money. I'm sure that you will get a response from someone that has one of them.

Earl

I checked the AW site since I've been entertaining purchasing some HSS inserts to see what kind of difference, if any, it would make on finishes vs. the carbide inserts I'm using now. I was shocked to find them to be as, and in more than a few cases, more expensive than the USA made carbide inserts I'm using now. I imagined they would be considerably less. I was quite surprised.

Back