Need Indexable tooling reconmendations for 12 X 24 lathe

oldgascar

Active User
Registered
Hello, I have a small belt drive lathe From Wholesale Tool . It's the same as the Grizzly G9249. I have had the lathe a very long time (10 plus years) but I am just now setting it up. I would like to know your opinion on what is the best indexable tooling to purchase for this lathe i.e. brands of tooling like Shars , Grizzly, with what style insert like ccmt etc. Also best tool nose radius inserts to get such as .032 TNR , positive or negative rake inserts etc.

I have a quick change tool post ( I believe it can accept 1/2 " shank tools). I am looking at a DRO from DRO KITS.com and I making a stand for the lathe. So now I am looking for the tooling (indexable only, I dont have any desire to grind tooling for everyday use) So I will need tooling for threading, turning and boring which seem to work best with this size belt drive lathe. Your thoughts and opinions are apreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
For indexable tooling I am rather fond of the A.G. Warner stuff - http://www.arwarnerco.com/ You can get both HSS and carbide inserts depending on what you want to work with/on.

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Back