Need Info On A "cz-300"

Shotgun12

Registered
Registered
I've been looking at small lathes, and found a guy that has a used one, but knows very little about it, and has never wired it up.
I haven't been able to see it yet, but the so-called 'manual' only refers to it as a CZ-300, and the owner says it was made by Enco. The manual doesn't even specify the brand???
Does any of this make sense?
Tried to do a search, but didn't turn anything up.
'Preciate any help.

Hmmmm ...
Many Chinese lathes are "made in the same factory," then painted and "branded" to suit the machinery company that distributes them. CZ-300 may well be the "internal" designation, and won't be of much help in a web search.

(1) Have you tried phoning or emailing Enco? They might be able to help.
(2) If you or the seller could measure the distance between the center of the spindle and the nearest "bump" or flat of the bed ways, that (multiplied by 2) will give you the "swing." Then measure the "distance between centers." This is "officially" done by removing the chuck and any drill chuck in the tailstock, then putting the centers in place and measuring between their points. You can get a pretty good approximate value by measuring from the face of the chuck to the face of the tailstock ram when it's fully retracted into the tailstock.

Let us know the swing & distance between centers. That will help identify the lathe, and we can go from there.

Outstanding! That be the beastie!
You guys are really good.
I would have gotten around to google, but I had just located this a couple hours before I posted my inquiry.
I came to check-in here first, hoping that somebody on the forums actually owned a similar model.
That manual is near identical to the one that I'd seen.
Now it's a matter of trying to figure out its approximate age, value and whether it might be worth buying .... or not.

Thank you

Your lathe looks a lot like my old Grizzly DF1224G, aka G1003. The major differences appears to be the way the way the spindle speeds are selected. My lathe is from around 1987, so the one you're looking at is probably a bit newer. I paid $1200 for mine last year.

kkHPIM3165.jpg

PS - here's a photo of the metric thread chart on my lathe:
Metric Thread Chart Df1224G.jpg
Note that it's the same as yours. Also note that many of the threads shown aren't really used for metric fasteners, and several common threads are missing. I did some figgerin' and came up with the following chart, which gets you all but one of the "useful" metric thread pitches. Two of them are not exact, but within 1%, and should be just fine for nut-and-bolt use.
Metric Thread Chart JMH 12X24.JPG
Enjoy!

Back