Need Input on 9 x 20 class machines

Steve M

Active User
Registered
Looking to buy a new 9 x 12 class machine soon to replace my Enco 6 x 19 3-in-1. I will probably go with Jet, Enco, or Grizzly. The machines are all identical but Jet seems to do a better job of providing a finished machine. I'd like to know what anyone who has bought one of these recently. I've read other posts on the subject and they have been enlightening. I just got rid of a Central Machinery 12x36 that was mechanically sound but had been kept in a leanto by a real shade tree mechanic. I really liked the gear drive and other features on it but it was a lot more machine than I needed. The Grizzly GO752 Variable Speed machine looks nice, too.

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Steve

I really like the 9X20 Enco I have. I just got it but the previous owner already did the 4 bolt tool rest mod and installed a Phase II QCTP. As far as fit and finish you are correct, but you should also consider what accessories are included with the machine too. Make sure the steady and follow rests are part of the package and a larger 4 jaw independent chuck. The one I bought used from Saintricky included all of them and was in pristine condition. Also be sort of carefull when you are looking at the price and be sure to include whatever shipping they are actually going to charge you. Shipping charges vary wildly and can really affect the overall deal signigantly. If you have time I would look for a % off sale or a high percentage coupon and free shipping if you can manage to get that option. Another option that is worth looking into is Matt at Precision Mathews. He keeps the margin on complete machines pretty low so they are generally a higher quality machine for a small amount more. He can also install DRO's prior to shipping so if you decide to CNC you are already closer to being done. There are quite a few options and the landscape is pretty broad once you start looking, so select the options that you consider the most important to you and look around for the best price with the quickest shipping you can get. The difference in fit and finish may not be worth the difference in prices sometimes. I have several HF machines and I have been very fortunate and never got one that was even borderline when it came to overall quality of the fit and finish. But different folks have had different outcomes so let your conscience be your guide. Hope this helps make the decision a little easier.

Bob

Hmmm -- I have a Jet 9X20. It has been used by many in my shop. I have yet to hear a complaint. Now when the power feed for the cross slide is finished it will be the cats patootie.

"Billy G"

Hmmm -- I have a Jet 9X20. It has been used by many in my shop. I have yet to hear a complaint. Now when the power feed for the cross slide is finished it will be the cats patootie.

"Billy G"

I have the harbor freight 9x20 works fine you will need the 4 bolt compound fix and a quick change tool post as most people do
i have seen the others jet grizzy enco and cat see a whits diference in any of them except what color they are painted so id say shop
for the best price other than who's who

:thinking:

Steve Bedaire has a good site on the upgrades he has done to his 9x20. I have a 4 bolt clamp project that got pushed to the back burner. I bought a 5 foot piece of 5/8th"x4" steel, If anybody needs a slice of it shoot me a PM.

I have a 9x20 Enco and like it. For making small screws, it works great.

I know this company out in CA and they have dealers all over and stands behind their machines. Give them a call and see what you can find out. The owners name is Tom and his lead salesman is a retired machinist (can't think of his name now). He sold some machines to a friend of mine and my friend said they were good ones.

http://www.acramachinery.com/Manual_Machines/900CQ.htm

"Billy G"

Thank you Brother Bill,

I now know how to spell the word that adequately describes, the part on my old body that things invariably kick..

As in---Kicked my patootie...

Back