need lathe tooling storage ideas

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I am almost done getting my lathe set up. I've used it a few times for rough work and really need a better way to store the accessories I use frequently. Here's the set up:

Back of lathe and front of milling machine. Lathe is bolted to the floor. Mill is on wheels. The power for both is just behind the mill.
DSC00749.JPG

Front of lathe. You can see where I put everything now; on the front ledge. This is not a good place. Good thing I wear good shoes!
DSC00750.JPG

Another front of the lathe shot. There's a little space on the table, but it's in the way if I open the doors.
DSC00751.JPG

I'm looking for ideas for storing stuff. I put much of it in the drawers, but have found that I need to use the chuck key, wrenches and lube all the time. They have a tendency to fall off the small ledge they are on. I thought I'd post and see what others did to get some ideas.

Many folks have a backsplash that holds tool holders and other stuff. Also keeps splatter down , you might want to consider something like that.

I have a plastic roll cart right behind me when I'm standing at the lathe. On it go all the tools I commonly use: QC tool holders (I don't
have many), chucks, drills, assorted small hand tools like chuck keys and wrenches, tailstock chuck and live center and so forth. There
is also room to place measuring tools etc. Underneath on the shelf are smaller pieces of aluminum, steel, plastic and brass stock.
My measuring tools, indicators and other machinist tools are in a stack of Craftsman boxes to the right of the lathe. The roll cart was
sort of an experiment, but as it turns out I like the arrangement a lot.

I have a narrow 16" X 60" table behind me but within easy arm's reach. My Beach tool box is on the far end of it, but directly behind where I stand is left bare for whatever tool I'm using at the time. If I have more than six tools out at once, something is not right.

I come from a background of woodworking on a European style bench -- room enough for the job but not so big you're tempted to keep junk on it -- and I keep the same discipline in the machine area. Nothing except a cutting oil can ever sits on my machine stands. Period.

-frank

Many folks have a backsplash that holds tool holders and other stuff. Also keeps splatter down , you might want to consider something like that.

I thought of that. I wanted to see what others did and get some ideas. Maybe people will post some more pictures of back splashes and shelves.

I have a plastic roll cart right behind me when I'm standing at the lathe. On it go all the tools I commonly use: QC tool holders (I don't
have many), chucks, drills, assorted small hand tools like chuck keys and wrenches, tailstock chuck and live center and so forth. There
is also room to place measuring tools etc. Underneath on the shelf are smaller pieces of aluminum, steel, plastic and brass stock.
My measuring tools, indicators and other machinist tools are in a stack of Craftsman boxes to the right of the lathe. The roll cart was
sort of an experiment, but as it turns out I like the arrangement a lot.

View attachment 298401

I have a tool cart that would serve this purpose. I may try that for awhile and see how I like it. Thanks!

Make rack to hold the essentials, mount on an upright or two behind lathe.

View attachment 298405

I thought of this as well. Can you post a picture of how the rack is mounted and how it's made? I'd like to see how it's done; no use re-inventing the wheel.

I have a narrow 16" X 60" table behind me but within easy arm's reach. My Beach tool box is on the far end of it, but directly behind where I stand is left bare for whatever tool I'm using at the time. If I have more than six tools out at once, something is not right.

I come from a background of woodworking on a European style bench -- room enough for the job but not so big you're tempted to keep junk on it -- and I keep the same discipline in the machine area. Nothing except a cutting oil can ever sits on my machine stands. Period.

-frank
I don't really have room for an extra bench. I might try a small cart, though. I like the idea of a clean bench, but my reality is that I like to keep the chuck key, oil and a few other tools within reach. That said, I'm looking to keep as much out of the way as possible in the spirit of what you do!

Yeah I have a rolling cart as well closer to the shaper for vise, tooling plate, wrenches, etc. Mine stays more stationary than mobile, but whatever. I bought it at a store fixture place (sells fixtures and display racks for retail stores) and it wasn't cheap, but I think it's rated for something like 400 pounds. I think they're called "stock carts". The one Nogoingback has looks pretty nice too.

-frank

I have no idea how much it holds, but it's pretty heavy duty for plastic. Plenty strong for what it's used for.
My neighbor put it out on the street with a "Free" sign on it, so I grabbed it. :)

Keep an eye out for an old plastic or sheet metal (if you prefer) Drywall mud pan or a longer wallpaper dipping pan at a yardsale or second hand store for a buck or 2 or just buy one at the local hardware store to turn into a small tool catch pan that can be attached to the front edge of the bench. Plastic would be easier to trim down for clearance purposes and cutting down the back wall would really help keep it "out of the way" and still give you enough real estate for having a few of the needed tools at hand ready for use. Or you could hang it off the edge to the right side of the drawers and not cut it at all.

Back