Need left hand acme nut/block

AlfromNH

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The lathe is a Yangzhuo 1340, same as grizzly 4016 and others. The cross slide but has a lot of play, replacement is nla from grizzly.
Any ideas for a source?
20240114_120652.jpg

20240114_120739.jpg

Thanks

You may have to adapt an off-the-shelf acme screw and nut, or find a close-enough part for a different lathe. I tried to find something on McMaster-Carr but their web site appears to be screwed up. Oops, inadvertent pun :p.

I found a 12 inch long 1/2-10 stainless steel screw + nut on ebay for $22.80. You'd need to modify or adapt the nut for your purposes.

Metric or inch? Diameter and pitch?

There’s enough meat there where I’d slice it across the threaded portion with the bandsaw and install a bolt making it into adjustable nut. Done that with my z fine adjust nut on my mill drill and it took all the play out. If I was making from scratch I’d make it out of Delrin. Last forever and less likely to wear the lead screw out. YMMV.

There’s enough meat there where I’d slice it across the threaded portion with the bandsaw and install a bolt making it into adjustable nut. Done that with my z fine adjust nut on my mill drill and it took all the play out. If I was making from scratch I’d make it out of Delrin. Last forever and less likely to wear the lead screw out. YMMV.
Hmm, interesting. So the idea is to split it crosswise and spread the two haves to eliminate the slop?

Hmm, interesting. So the idea is to split it crosswise and spread the two haves to eliminate the slop?
Actually leave a bit uncut and the bolt squeezes it together. That’s how the X and Y nuts are on my RF30 drill mill and I just used the same idea on the Z stop to take the slop out of it.

Back