Need members middle of Arkansas

Tony Wells

President Emeritus (Retired)
Registered
I know of a SB 9 that would be available as a gift, if my understanding is correct. I got an email today offering it. Let me know if you're there, and interested. It will be a little bit of a project, but sounds like something that would interest a South Bend fan.

Just on the off-chance no-one wants it I could give it a home.
tommie

Tony, i would also be interested in SB if it's located in central Ark. Let me know, no hurry, Arky.

I am in contact with the owner. I will try to work out the details. Seems to me that if there is someone eligible, meaning near enough, it would be most fair if this could be someones first lathe, although it is one requiring some restoration to be fully operational. Apparently, someone has worked on the ways a bit, (quality unknown) and now of course, everything doesn't line up, like the carriage assembly and feedscrews, etc. So it is my opinion that whoever gets this machine be capable of putting it back in service. That doesn't mean a rank beginner couldn't qualify, but would have to be very willing to invest time, effort and no doubt, some money to get it running properly again.

This would make a wonderful photo montage, "let's rebuild it as a group", project, no matter who ends up with it.

Dale

Tony, I have plenty of projects and would love if someone who is more in line with your thinking takes the lathe. I would give it a home to keep it from being junked. tommie

I am the guy who owns that lathe. It is a SB 9" I started rebuilding it about 7 years ago. The bed had been milled perfectly however the saddle has a slight miss alignment, Nothing a good mill cannot fix. I had invested in several replacement gears but did not complete the task because I wanted to learn and cut all of the gears for the quick change myself. It may not be perfect but I know it can and will live again. I have other machines currently packaged for shipment for my upcoming trip and this thing needs to go quickly. The new gears as well as other pieces are well worth the time to come look and enjoy. I just get very ocd about how I treat my equipment and I need to come to terms with this particular machine. I would have loved to have rebuilt it. I just do not want to see it parted out. I do not have a legged stand for it. I live in Conway.
Thank you
Phil

I would love to have that. But I don't think that I would be able to get it in my car.

Back