Need Nylon Guides for DoAll DH612 Surface Grinder

Joe-R

Registered
Registered
Hi all,
I am in need of new nylon guide or slide ways for my surface grinder but I can't find a supplier for replacement parts or instructions for it anywhere I've looked.
Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

The table lead screw was badly worn when I got the machine so I made a larger new one and machined and re-threaded the existing bronze nut to match the new larger lead screw (same TPI as the original).

Anyway, does anyone have a source for DoAll surface grinder parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Joe

Can you show us a picture? It’s probably turcite or rulon I think it’s called.

I can take a picture of it in the morning, I'm not at the shop right now.

Yeah, I thought it was turcite as well but the manual says it's nylon.

Thanks!!

you are not talking a cage for the balls right? you are talking a material for the bed to slide on?

If you are, would HDPE be a better material, since it's a very slippery material.
How is the nylon held down currently? Glued?

It is the slide material, mine doesn't have the caged ball bearing setup.

I assume it's glued down, I can't imagine any other method really.

HDPE sounds like a good option and it's probably better than the original nylon.
I've never worked with turcite, HDPE or anything else like it.
All I've done so far is printing and scraping and printing and scraping and so on Lol.

Any sources for HDPE and how to apply it? It is a new game for me.

Thank you!!

Joe

I don't have a source, or know how to glue it down.
We use it in woodworking for adding a sliding surface to various things, jigs, slides...

I just buy it on line when I need it. Some of it is already self stick, but I think you are in a different category.
maybe Richard King might know @Richard King 2

He also might know if it is a good choice. I think it might be.

Good idea!
I will contact him to see what he recommends.

Thanks you!!

Joe

Post a picture of what your talking about, we don't have crystal balls. Do-All stopped making grinders, but the do make band saws in Des Plaines IL. If it is a cage around ball bearings and they roll on hardened ways, then most likely they are Phenolic. If it is a plat strip glued on it is what the others said. Turcite B or Rulon 142. These are guy's I buy from. https://www.tstar.com/

Post a picture of what your talking about, we don't have crystal balls. Do-All stopped making grinders, but the do make band saws in Des Plaines IL. If it is a cage around ball bearings and they roll on hardened ways, then most likely they are Phenolic. If it is a plat strip glued on it is what the others said. Turcite B or Rulon 142. These are guy's I buy from. https://www.tstar.com/

Hi Richard,

Attached are a few photos of the DoAll DH612 Surface Grinder saddle showing the “V” and “Flat” ways with the worn Teflon as well as the bottom of the saddle where it’s iron to iron.

For some reason I translated “Teflon” to “Nylon”, not sure how I made that mistake, it could be because I was researching the difference between the two materials?

It appears to me to be the standard arrangement of one “V” way and one “Flat” way, I have seen a few lathes with two “V” ways but most machines are the one “V” and one “Flat” way.
I realize that DoAll does not make anything but sawing machines these days but I was hoping that somebody might know of someone that makes aftermarket replacement parts for obsolete DoAll machines.

My question was: “Does anyone have a source for DoAll surface grinder parts?” and is why I didn’t post any photos of the guide ways.

The fact that mine is not some sort of unique arrangement is another reason I didn’t post photos with my question.

The bottom of the saddle is iron to iron, no Teflon or PTFE and there is no apparent wear, no grooves or gouges (I’m thankful for that).

The way material is white and cuts like Polyethylene plastic, I used a sharp knife on it just to see what the shavings looked like.

I do appreciate the feedback and suggestions, especially since it’s apparent that nobody makes aftermarket parts for this machine.

Maybe you didn’t read my comment where I stated that my machine does not use caged ball bearings?

And I did state that my machine does not have Turcite or Rulon but maybe you missed that comment as well? Or maybe you feel that I don’t know the difference?

I also mentioned that the user manual indicated that the ways could be Teflon (I mistakenly called it Nylon), apparently they made two versions, one with iron to iron and one with Teflon to iron.

BTW, the user manual I have is the original that was supplied with this grinder.

In the photo showing the depth micrometer, the micrometer is tilted to the side a bit because it was hard to get a photo of it straight on but the measurement is nearly .039”, either way it should still be fairly easy to tell that the plastic material is much thicker than .010”.

To me it appears that the strips of Teflon had been replaced at some point judging by the excess glue and the uneven cuts at the oil ports, Hmmm…it could be that the last time the plastic ways were replaced they used Nylon :)
See photo showing both the “V” and “Flat” ways in the same photo.

Anyway, I assume that Rulon or Turcite will hold up to grinding dust/swarf as well as the Teflon did, either way, it’s better than wearing away the iron.

Note: The “V” and “Flat ways on the underside of the table appear to be in good condition with very, very little scoring (no photos of that portion).

I am curious, if your balls aren’t make of crystal, what are they made of?

Thanks for your input.

Joe

Attachments

• User Manual Reference to Teflon Ways.jpg
    User Manual Reference to Teflon Ways.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 135
  • Bottom of Saddle - Iron to Iron - No Teflon - Almost No Wear.jpg
    Bottom of Saddle - Iron to Iron - No Teflon - Almost No Wear.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 140
  • Teflon Thickness .039.jpg
    Teflon Thickness .039.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 135
  • Top of Saddle - Flat Way Wear.jpg
    Top of Saddle - Flat Way Wear.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Top of Saddle Showing Teflon and Excess Glue.jpg
    Top of Saddle Showing Teflon and Excess Glue.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 137
  • Top of Saddle - V Way Wear.jpg
    Top of Saddle - V Way Wear.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 137
It looks like the factory must have done it. I have never seen a DO-All with factory lined ways. If it is white, then it must be Nylon... Turcite B and Rulon 142 comes in red or aqua green that I have ever seen. Garlock made one that was or is brown. It is probably .032" plus the glue was .005" and it is worn. The straight oil grooves are bad and if you replace it fill the grooves with epoxy and then zigzag the new material and don't cut through it as it is a way the bond will fail. Shambam the original maker of Turcite went out of business because they told customers to cut the oil grooves through the material and got sued. If the material is not loose, you could leave it alone or scrape in some new oil pockets.

Back