Need recommendations on brazing basics...

Note that if you want to use propane (which is way, way cheaper and seems to last forever), the standard acet hoses may not be compatible (you need properly rated "T" hoses) and the proper regulator. You can get a pound of 1/16" bronze rod and a pound of flux (both Gasflux products) for about $17/$14. I also popped for the fancy kevlar (?) hoses since my brazing is mostly bicycle frames and I like feeling free to move around, but they are much less tough than standard hoses. Acet for my skills is way easier to control for brazing thin-wall tubing, but for general heating or if I was going to build something bigger like another lathe stand, I'd grab the BBQ tank, a bigger tip and probably some thicker fluxed-bronze rod. The Gasflux rinses off in warm water if the project isn't too big, though.

A friend's father suggested the same about propane.
The current tank is full plus I've got one other Acetylene tank chained up to the fence.
After those are out and _if_ I can get the Oxy refilled then I'll be looking at going with propane.
I still need to learn all about 'rod'.
I wanted to make some brazed tip cutters for a scraper last spring/early summer and life got in the way of hobby.

PS: that 550Four in your Flicker album is Sharp!
Note that if you want to use propane (which is way, way cheaper and seems to last forever), the standard acet hoses may not be compatible (you need properly rated "T" hoses) and the proper regulator. You can get a pound of 1/16" bronze rod and a pound of flux (both Gasflux products) for about $17/$14. I also popped for the fancy kevlar (?) hoses since my brazing is mostly bicycle frames and I like feeling free to move around, but they are much less tough than standard hoses. Acet for my skills is way easier to control for brazing thin-wall tubing, but for general heating or if I was going to build something bigger like another lathe stand, I'd grab the BBQ tank, a bigger tip and probably some thicker fluxed-bronze rod. The Gasflux rinses off in warm water if the project isn't too big, though.

There is a technical reason why brazing needs a oxidising flame ....and I used acet hoses for years,only recently found some orange hoses at a hrdware store closing down ,so I now use the corect hoses.

If you want to braze relatively small items using an oxygen concentrator is a great alternative to leasing an O2 tank. It works great with propane. Here is my setup. No more trips to Airgas. Well, maybe for Argon....

1581738007384.png
You should be able to find one of these on Craigslist for less than $200. Using 56% silver solder this works very well on parts 1" in diameter or less.
Robert

If you want to braze relatively small items using an oxygen concentrator is a great alternative to leasing an O2 tank. It works great with propane. Here is my setup. No more trips to Airgas. Well, maybe for Argon....

View attachment 313629
You should be able to find one of these on Craigslist for less than $200. Using 56% silver solder this works very well on parts 1" in diameter or less.
Robert
That setup looks sweet. Going to have to put that on the 'wish list'. I've never seen that before.
The big bottle set I scored for only $50, figured the head and regulators made it worth it.
Set of hose from Northern and Flashbacks off of eBay, all in for under a $100.
Next time before I blindly go returning the o2 tank I'll make some calls first.
Then if it doesn't work out I'll call the 'Wind Chime' guy I met awhile back.

This video might help.
Thanks, of all the ones I've watch I hadn't come across that one.

Here s a funny thing....gas supplier was charging me $250 a year rental,(like for 40 years ) I m ,now getting popup ads saying same supplier,no cylinder rental ,and gas prices reduced.....Funny what a bit of competition does.

Back