Need Rigid drill press arbor taper size

Welderguyaz75

Registered
Registered
Hello all! First post here. Need to replace my chuck and arbor (arbor currently stuck in drill press but not for long!) as the arbor is bent due to an oopsies years ago and time to fix it right! Cheap soft Chinese arbor bent. I can’t find my owners manual for the drill press and cannot locate info online. Short of calling RIGID to find out info I thought I’d try my luck at the forums first. I “think” it’s an mt2 taper on the machine side and can’t swear to it. The machine is a Rigid 15” floor drill press model# DP15501. Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks
Welderguyaz75 (Matt)

I agree with Jim. I think Rigid uses a solid spindle with a taper on the end - no arbor used - so you have to replace the whole spindle.

Look at page 27, figure 30 of that manual. It tells you to tap the top of the chuck while rotating by hand. I have had the same press since 2008 and mine is mt-2.

There is a slot on the spindle for a tapered wedge on mine and it even came with the wedge in the little tool kit that came with it.

Okay, good to know. That is how most drill presses are made but I know some Rigid ones have a solid spindle. Learned something today.

I agree with Jim. I think Rigid uses a solid spindle with a taper on the end - no arbor used - so you have to replace the whole spindle.
The older Ridgid DPs( Grey color) made by Emerson was a solid spindle with a JT3 taper at the chuck end.
Just edited to make a correction,(JT3 not mt2)

Last edited:
Look at page 27, figure 30 of that manual. It tells you to tap the top of the chuck while rotating by hand. I have had the same press since 2008 and mine is mt-2.

There is a slot on the spindle for a tapered wedge on mine and it even came with the wedge in the little tool kit that came with it.
That (tapping the chuck with a soft mallet)is to remove the chuck, if the shaft is bent it has to be replaced.

Rigid 15” floor drill press model# DP1550
It looks like the spindle part# 828908 for both models (DP1550, DP#15501) is no longer available, that is unfortunate because there are so many of us who own this press, luckily mine is still in good shape but I dread the thought of the day that I might need to replace it.part_828908.gif

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/ridgid-dp15500-drill-press-parts-c-7929_8162_8164.html
https://www.ereplacementparts.com/spindle-p-156889.html

My Ridgid drill press has a jt3 taper on a solid spindle. It does not have a removable mt2 arbor that the chuck is mounted to. Most of this vintage Asian drill presses had the spindle with mt2 on the business end.

My Ridgid drill press has a jt3 taper on a solid spindle.
I stand corrected, ,Rigid spindle has a Jacobs taper 3 on the business end, not MT2, I even started this thread a few weeks ago asking where to find a good used 14N super chuck with a JT3 mount, I don't know why I forgot it so fast ,old age I guess, anyhow, what still remains to be true is the fact that the spindle is solid, and as you said ".It does not have a removable mt2 arbor that the chuck is mounted to"

Back