[Newbie] Need Rusty 5C Collet Advice

karlsangree

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a '42 South Bend Heavy 10 toolroom lathe. Included in the deal was a fairly complete set of 5C collets from 1/16" to 1 1/8". The majority of collets were in great shape, but a couple have a bit of rust. Would you give these an overnight soak in Evaporust, or would you just replace them? We're talking about 7 or 8 collets that have any amount of rust in total.

These are the worst 2 out of the batch:

IMG_1634.JPG

EDIT: I probably should mention that the boxes are marked "Made in Korea" so we're not talking about a $4,000 set of precision Hardinge collets here.

Yes those definitely look like EvapoRust will work out. Certainly worth a try. Worst case is it has a little more runout than you’d like one day and you replace one.

Ok thanks guys. I'll give them an overnight swim in Evaporust. As a total newbie, I didn't know how sensitive collets were to rust damage.
I restore old cast iron cookware as a hobby so rust removal is a specialty of mine. :)

I'd just hit them with some 600 or so grit emery paper on the rusted area. I don't see any pitting on the collets.

I've got a set that was worse than that when I bought them. A day or two in Evaporust and they look like new. That stuff is amazing.

Yeah I was ready to see some really terrible rotten collets, and was all ready to say to throw them out. But that's awesome. Those are fine. Lol. Enjoy!

A good soak in Evaporust and a few minutes on the polishing wheel. I back filled the few that were missing and added a holder from Shars and am now the proud owner of a full, clean, rust-free set of 5C collets in 64ths.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this one.

Before and after.

IMG_1634.JPGIMG_1639.JPG

Back