Need Screw Thread Pitch Information

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I'm almost finished building my radius turning tool, and it is time to mount the carbide insert. I'll need to drill and tap a hole to mount it, but have not had any luck finding any reference to the screw size or pitch.

The insert I'll be using is a VCMT 160404-PM5 made by Walter in Germany. The screws that I use to mount my TCMT 32.51 inserts fit perfectly, but I don't have a metric thread pitch gauge that is small enough to measure it. I measured the outside diameter of the screw (on the threads) at 3.85mm. Can someone educate me so I can order the proper tap? Thank you!

GG

VCMT.jpg

I suspect it is a 4mm nominal size. Standard pitch is 0.7mm, fine is 0.5. Very roughly, in case you have the Imperial pitch gage, the 0.7 is close to a 36 TPI, and the 0.5 is close to 50 (closer to 51 actually).

Perhaps someone can confirm this.

My Starrett #155 Imperial thread pitch gauge only goes down to 32 TPI. I'm striking out with all of my measuring tools today. :grin:

GG

Time to get out a mm scale and a magnifier.:)

All my 32.5_ screw down type inserts use M4 x 0.7 pitch T15 torx screws. Industry p/n TS-4.7-. Length varies depending on your tool shank size.

Excellent! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you! :encourage:

GG

I'm almost finished building my radius turning tool, and it is time to mount the carbide insert. I'll need to drill and tap a hole to mount it, but have not had any luck finding any reference to the screw size or pitch.

The insert I'll be using is a VCMT 160404-PM5 made by Walter in Germany. The screws that I use to mount my TCMT 32.51 inserts fit perfectly, but I don't have a metric thread pitch gauge that is small enough to measure it. I measured the outside diameter of the screw (on the threads) at 3.85mm. Can someone educate me so I can order the proper tap? Thank you!

GG

View attachment 104173

A 4mm external thread diameter is 3.978mm to 3.838mm OD so you have a 4mm screw. Can't tell from the pictures but it could be either 0.5 or 0.7 pitch thread. Those are the only standard pitches I found. Instead of a pitch gauge if you have a metric scale/ruler you can measure the thread pitch.

Hope this helps.

Tom S

A 4mm external thread diameter is 3.978mm to 3.838mm OD so you have a 4mm screw. Can't tell from the pictures but it could be either 0.5 or 0.7 pitch thread. Those are the only standard pitches I found. Instead of a pitch gauge if you have a metric scale/ruler you can measure the thread pitch.

Thanks Tom! I don't know if I own enough cheater glasses to stack up so I could measure it with a scale. I was having a hard time with the thread pitch gauge on the smaller sizes with 1.5 and 2.0 cheaters stacked together. :grin:

GG

Back