Need solution for gauge pin storage

SHughes

Registered
Registered
So…..
Moving tools and things to a new shop and my box of gauge pins slipped and fell, popped open (of course) and dumped the entire contents of a .251 - .500 gauge pin set. Adding insult to injury, the plastic divider basically shattered. I have all the gauges but they’re now just piled in the box. Really not a usable setup.
Looking online I haven’t seen any gauge pin storage boxes, unless of course you buy them full of pins.

Does anyone have a good storage solid idea? Drilling 250 holes in a block of wood or delrin is the easy fix, I guess. Just didn’t want to miss a better option.

Thanks!

So…..
Moving tools and things to a new shop and my box of gauge pins slipped and fell, popped open (of course) and dumped the entire contents of a .251 - .500 gauge pin set. Adding insult to injury, the plastic divider basically shattered. I have all the gauges but they’re now just piled in the box. Really not a usable setup.
Looking online I haven’t seen any gauge pin storage boxes, unless of course you buy them full of pins.

Does anyone have a good storage solid idea? Drilling 250 holes in a block of wood or delrin is the easy fix, I guess. Just didn’t want to miss a better option.

Thanks!
There are many on here with 3d printers maybe someone could make one from your needed dimensions. Personally, I would go with the wood idea.

Egg crate diffuser for overhead lights, stack two together for height and fit into a drawer.

52CF17_AS01

Make a mold out of material that will harden. Maybe kids Play-Doh? Fit in appropriately sized box with strings placed in grid fashion to keep the alignment. After you have spent 3 hours sorting the pins for size :cool 2:. Push them in the Doh and wait for it to set.

For a temporary aid, I group my spares in zip-lock bags in .010 range (.011>.020, .021>.030, etc).

For the long term, I suggest you telephone Meyer Gage and see if they'll sell you a replacement box.
Let us know what happens. You're not the only one. :grin:

+1 on 3D Print a new tray. You can even recess print in the sizes and fill them with paint for visibility, or if you have a dual extruder print in the text. Add any other text you want like maybe your name.

I bought 2 gauge pin sets a couple years ago. They both came in a lockable storage case similar to a briefcase. The inside has a piece of closed cell foam with appropriately sized and labeled holes. You can buy similar size cases from Harbor Freight for less than $50.00. Here are 3 they sell. There are several others. I just Googled "storage case" on their website.

Here are some pictures of the sets I purchased.

Attachments

• IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1064.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 26
Back