Need some advice on replacement for a lathe and milling machine

Doc Hoy

Registered
Registered
I am a hobbyist and novice home machinist. I do some light gun smithing, make parts and jigs for other machines. I am using a Grizzly 10x22 G0602 with an Atlas post. Also have a Wholesale Tools 2 HP mill. This is an old mill which does not have DRO. I am moving to FL and closing down my shop. BUt I will open up again in FL when I get situated.

So I am looking for recommendations for replacements for these to machines.

Lathe:

I like this lathe but can accomodate a SLIGHTLY larger foot print in the shop. I would appreciate a larger spindle diameter (Larger than 1 inch). Apart from that I am not smart enough to know which way to go. I am also not smart enough to know that I may already have the optimal machine and should just stick with another G0602
equivalent.

The Mill that I have is old and worn to the point where it needs some serious work to make it more precise. I like this mill as much as I like the lathe. I am loaded with tooling which I will retain. Should I be trying to get away from a round column? I can also stand a very little bit more space for a mill but I don't want anything huge.

I hope this is the right area on the forum to ask these questions.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

If you want a little bit bigger lathe, I have this one.

https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1127vf-lb/

It's been a great machine. It's a bit bigger, larger through bore, but not getting into the really big machines. Most of your 1022 tools will work, with the exception of things like chucks, steady rest, etc..

I would think gunsmithing would need a bigger machine, but if a 1022 is getting it done, can't argue with that.

If you can fit and find one in the area, a Bridgeport style knee mill is hard to beat for a home shop. I see why people don't like the round column mills, but I've seen some nice work done on them. Perhaps a bench top square column is more what you are looking for? That site for the lathe has mills as well. Grizzly, LMS.. Probably a few others. Any size criteria like the work envelope that you are looking for?

Get the largest lathe and mill that will fit both your space and budget.
:welcome: To the forum.
What part of FL. are you moving to?

I would second the PM-1127 vote, though it's more than double the cost of the one it's replacing. It comes with a lot of accessories so there's not too much of a loss there.

My understanding with a round column is it's easier to knock out of tram. If you're not taking heavy cuts, you may never notice. Personally, once I got a knee mill, I can't even look at those lighter ones anymore - but the knee mills take a lot of space and some planning to get delivered. If a knee mill won't work, get the sturdiest mill possible given size/money constraints.

To all, (with a question at the end.)

Thanks for the speedy responses. I like the looks of the 1127. (Thanks TTabbal). As regards a mill, I do not have much more space than that which is occupied by the WT 2 HP bench mill.

To "Kd", I will be moving to the Naples area, just south of Bonita Springs.

I think the way this may go is that I will go some research, come up with some "comparables" and then bring the ideas to y'all (as long as you don't mind.)

So my first redirect is:

I see some good prices on Wholesale Tools equipment. I do understand that one gets what one pays for. What reputation is enjoyed by Wholesale Tools?

I have had good luck with the PM equipment. 1022 lathe and 727V mill. My shop is small, and for hobby work its all I need.

I've never heard of Wholesale Tools. The name makes me think of Harbor Freight and friends. Hopefully they are better than that. :)

PM is well regarded around here for good equipment, fair prices, and decent support if you run into problems. There are lots of options, and, sadly, many look good but don't deliver.

Feel free to ask questions. It's a good chance that someone here has at least heard about most sellers and machines out there. And we're always happy to help you spend your money! :D

You should review what features you want, size and budget. Also warranty and support, which is a big problem with many of the vendors. Things like a standard spindle mount, powered cross feed, range of threading options, etc. are important and give you many more options for chucks. The PM-1127 has a 1.5" spindle bore with a D1-4 spindle mount, variable speed, power cross feed, separate feed and leadscrew, comes with chucks, etc. and a 3 year warranty. In this price range I would also consider the PM1228, gives a bit larger work envelope and less change gears. Both of these are 120VAC machines. There are many online reviews and video postings for both of these lathes, I would suggest reviewing these and reviews on this site. About the only other vendor I would recommend in this size lathe and price range would be those from Grizzly, all the others (like Bolton) I would not recommend (due to quality and service), read the reviews online.

As far as mills, you want to go with a square column mill, once again it depends on the size you are looking at and if you have 230VAC available. I would look at the PM-727V an PM-30MV. The latter is 230VAC only, it is variable speed belt drive and has a bit more table travel, if you only have 120VAC then the 727V offers a lot in this size mill.

"Should I be trying to get away from a round column?"

I've had several bench mills, in various sizes, but all were square column mills. A round column mill/drill would have just added additional variables that I was not willing to deal with.

I do mostly pistol work, and for that smaller machines do fine as long as you respect the work envelope and what a small(er) mill can and cannot do. If you are footprint and/or voltage constrained you should take a hard look at the 727V. If I had the room and 230V available, I'd take the PM-30MV any day. :)

As soon as I hit the send button on my last post I went to the PM website. There is a nice variety of choices there.

The bench mill that I have from Wholesale Tools is a dead ringer for the Grizzly G0705. So I am thinking that precision on the machine would be similar to Grizzly. (Understand that my machine, as I said, is worn and really needs a tune up.)

I have owned two Grizzly Combination machines and I did not like them. Excessive set-up time. Too many compromises. I am very satisfied with the 10x22 but remember, I do not have enough experience to compare with other lathes, nor to know that I may be limited by some missing features of that machine. I must say that I think support from Grizzly is pretty good.

Two things I like about the PM lathe is 1.5 inch spindle bore and true inch thread cutting feature.

I will have 230 volts available in the new shop.

I will take your advice on the online videos to review the machines.

Thanks again.

Back