Need some advice on replacement for a lathe and milling machine

I have to note once again that there are many small machines available that are high quality and are very precise, exactly what you want.
However none are aimed at the hobby market nor are they manual and nor do they have a hobbyist price.
If you want a $50,000.00 machine for $8995.00 you are in a bad position.

In the 60's, 70's and 80's small shops went NC because they had to in order to compete, this left a large number of nice manual machines unused and many were sold to hobbyists. This well has run dry after 50 years. Hobbyists have given themselves exactly one source of new machines.

I have to note once again that there are many small machines available that are high quality and are very precise, exactly what you want.
However none are aimed at the hobby market nor are they manual and nor do they have a hobbyist price.
If you want a $50,000.00 machine for $8995.00 you are in a bad position.

In the 60's, 70's and 80's small shops went NC because they had to in order to compete, this left a large number of nice manual machines unused and many were sold to hobbyists. This well has run dry after 50 years. Hobbyists have given themselves exactly one source of new machines.

Good insights. And helpful observation of the recent history. When I was still in university I taught in a program that included an intro to CNC machining. I made myself casually familiar with the process but never personally got into CNC at home.

I do want precision and quality in my machines. I am willing and able to invest the money but it was a little unfair of me when I failed to speak of a budget as I opened the discussion. I want to stay at about 3 - 4k for each of the machines and I do acknowledge that I will need some accessories and some new tooling on top of that. So the Precision Matthews lathe mentioned above, fits.

The replacement for my mill runs about half that but I have about convinced myself that a better mill is needed. And I am almost convince I should move to a square column mill.

Guys please don't get frustrated with me and my questions.

What's the current state of Charter Oak (e.g. the 12Z)? I recall that initially they were fairly well regarded, then there was some sort of dip in quality.

For a benchtop mill, it's got a large table size and decent power (3 HP). Something to look at, if the product hasn't become total garbage.

A 10x22 lathe is not that big or difficult to move. Why not move your current lathe with you as you seem happy with it. Then you just have to focus on replacing the mill and can later upgrade to a larger lathe if you decide it no longer meets your needs.

The cost to move the lathe has to be less than selling and buying potentially the same lathe at the new place. You are unlikely to get much more than 50% of the new price for your current lathe.

That would also allow you to focus on just one new machine at a time. From what I've seen posted here, you potentially might even get more selling the lathe in Florida if you decide to go bigger.

Back