Need Some Advice Please!

Wheresmywrench?

Active User
Registered
I may need to replace the motor on my Maximat V10-P lathe. the original motor is 1hp reversible, 2 speed. What are my options, as I need to control the speed and want forward/reverse. Would like 220/240 V I don't have 3 phase available.

The best option in my opinion is a 3 phase motor powered by a VFD. You don't need 3 phase power, the VFD can run on single phase and output 3 phase. This set-up will allow variable speed over a fairly wide range and fwd /reverse. A 3/4 hp 1800 rpm motor would be a good choice. Mounting the motor may involve minor challenges.

I would go for the 3 phase with a VFD to control speed and direction. Runs great on standard house 220 single phase. If you want to maintain 1 HP I believe you will need a 1.5 HP motor as the VFD converted power looses 1/3 of the HP.
Dave

I would go for the 3 phase with a VFD to control speed and direction. Runs great on standard house 220 single phase. If you want to maintain 1 HP I believe you will need a 1.5 HP motor as the VFD converted power looses 1/3 of the HP.
Dave
dave2176,
Your statement about VFD is a bit off...It is true when a STATIC phase converter is used to power a 3 phase motor. The static converter drops out after motor is up to speed, therefore using 2 out of 3 legs hence 2/3 the nameplate HP.
-
VFDs are very efficient. I have 4 machines running on VFDs. Made myself a basic RPC to begin with. Lights would flicker and it was noisy and got hot (yes I did balance w/caps). Bought 1 vfd for my lathe and will NEVER go back.

OP if your machine currently has a 3 phase motor, keep it and use it. Wire a VFD to 1 of the 2 speed windings depending on your desired rpm range.

OK I'm going to go with a 3/4 hp motor any suggestions on which brand or type would be best? I have a Hitachi VFD powering the 220V 3 phase motor on the mill head portion of my V10-P. Just not sure how would I wire/program one for fwd and revers on a motor.

Just not sure how would I wire/program one for fwd and revers on a motor.

The instructions should be laid out pretty clearly in the user manual. Normally there are several options, I just run mine from the keypad, but you can mount the VFD remotely and wire in switches to the VFD control terminals.

OK just need a little more input here. Can I program VFD to run at different RPM's?? OR just Hz? To control speed??

They are kind of the same thing. The VFD outputs variable frequency, and the motor speed is a direct function of frequency. So, the fewer the Hz, the slower the motor speed. Some VFDs allow you to program them to display RPM, but then that is only valid in one belt speed range.

Back