Need Some Advice Please!

I have used several of the KB Electronic VFDs, there are decent, but are quite limited as to features and lack the ability to be programmed (they have a few pots for adjustment of functions). I ended up replacing all of them because of performance issues. I would recommend KBVF series VFDs for very basic use, such as a saws, but for a mill or lathe I believe you would be better off with a sensorless vector VFD (Automation, Teco, Hitachi...). The price difference is relatively small and you get a lot more functionality. If you went with a 1HP 3 phase motor (230V), you could run it off a 120V single phase input VFD that would output 230V 3 phase. This gives you flexibility if you do not have 240V line.

I would recommend a vector drive too as they have much better torque characteristics than standard frequency drives in such that you can run the motor at 100 percent torque and 0 rpm. basically the motor would be running flat out and not turning you could try and turn the shaft and it won't move. I don't recommend doing it though because the motor will overheat very quickly and burn out. I did try it as a test once and it worked but the motor lasted about a minute before it started smoking.

Hey MKSJ. I am always open to new ideas. Could you share with us the brand and model number of the VFD that you use for your lathe and/or mill? Thanks.

Go with a dc motor and a KB controller. That's what I did. You can also get a brake function on the controller. Works great. Ebay had a bunch in various hp listed once. I ordered the controller from KB.

Back