Need some help finding a 6 inch chuck

A 6 jaw is okay but is no more accurate than a 3 jaw. Plus, a 6 jaw does not grab as tightly as a 3 jaw and that can make a difference when taking big cuts. A 6 jaw is okay when working on plastics and thin walled stuff but it is not a replacement for a basic 3 jaw chuck, at least not in my opinion. My Pratt Burnerd Setrite 6 jaw is a fine chuck but comes out only when I need it. Otherwise, I use a Rohm 3 jaw.
I was told that when I was looking at one initially, and I found that not to be true. My 6 jaw clamps just as tight as a 3 jaw (and there isn't really a good reason why it wouldn't, its still a scroll chuck, just with the pressure moved to 6 jaws instead of 3, same force, just more spread out), but I find it damages surfaces less than a 3 jaw, and holds them just as securely.

I realize it isn't 'more accurate', but it is no less accurate either. In my experience, it is just as good as a 3 jaw at everything a 3 jaw chuck does, PLUS it is more gentle on the workpiece, AND does a better job holding parts 'squarely' that need to index off the face of the jaws. Before I bought it, I read a number of threads about them with the issues surrounding them, but never found any of those to be a problem in practice.

In the 3-4 years since I bought my chinese 6 jaw, BOTH of my 3 jaw chucks have sat on the floor and haven't moved since.

Might be late to the thread... I got mine from here:

Great price... could not find them for less anywhere else. And these were new old stock...

5f6a7b5e-2d26-4971-ab28-74c11abc2830-jpeg.419534

Might be late to the thread... I got mine from here:

Great price... could not find them for less anywhere else. And these were new old stock...

5f6a7b5e-2d26-4971-ab28-74c11abc2830-jpeg.419534
I sure do thank you for the information and price but I feel I should hold out to attempt to locate a 6 in 3 jaw
Have fun, buckshot

Oh 6” 3-jaw !

Sorry… that link was for a new Atlas 6” 4-jaw chuck…

Back