Need some scraping done

Bryan40g

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’d like to have my new pm1228 lathe cross slide and compound slide fitted and scraped. Looking for a properly trained person to perform this. What would something like cost?

The lathe is brand new but I’d like to see some things improved on it from the get go to hopefully prolong its life.

Let me know.

If the lathe is brand new, then you know you can at least check it out without major harm.
Then, without the need to read the whole book, read the parts of Connelly's "Machine Tool Reconditioning", and get an idea of what scraping entails. There you find out what is the difference between scraping and oil-retention decorative flaking, also called "frosting", and the different styles involved.

You are among friends at HM. If the cross-slide needs it at all, you will likely find folk in Texas who can either directly help you do it, or put you in touch with places where you can get it done. Just because it's brand new, I should think that the only scraping needed, if not already taken care of, is oil-retention flaking.

Not that I expect you would be attempting this yourself, but you can get an idea of what to expect from those who would undertake it for you, can be had in this video.. :)

Last edited:
Were you thinking of pulling the saddle off as well? Can't do the cross slide without the saddle.

I’d like to have my new pm1228 lathe cross slide and compound slide fitted and scraped. Looking for a properly trained person to perform this. What would something like cost?

The lathe is brand new but I’d like to see some things improved on it from the get go to hopefully prolong its life.

Let me know.

Is there a thread where you show what inspection you've done?

You might get better responses if the magnitude of the problem is estimated.

Graham-xrf thanks for your reply and info on the book. After seeing a video with Stefan Gotteswinter where he fits and repairs a customers compound slide. He adds some well placed shallow grooves for oil. Seems like it could work for me as well. Just need a mill now.

ddickey, yes I was thinking the saddle and compound slide. All the important slideways.

extropic, there isn’t really a problem per se. I just want my new machine to start its life off better than it currently is. Just my way. I see things that could be better and unfortunately I personally don’t have the knowledge and equipment to perform. The ground surfaces seem fine but don’t hold oil very long. That’s the main thing I’d like improved. This new lathe is basically a kit for me. Knew this when I bought it.

I’d do at least one project with it first, but that’s me….

John

Agree with @matthewsx on getting a few projects under its belt before tearing into it. My guess is you’ll find it suits your needs just fine as is, but that’s for you to decide.

A couple thoughts though —

1) If the ways are hardened and ground, they won’t take kindly to scraping or flaking. So far as I understand it, most scraping/flaking was historically done on non-hardened cast iron ways, and were sometimes chromed after-the-fact for added wear resistance. Hardened ways are difficult (impossible?) to scrape.

2) Scraping and aligning a lathe ain’t no trivial task. I’ve never done it, but hard to believe it could be done in less than, say, 50 hours? Potentially much, much more. Someone ‘qualified’ probably isn’t going to accept a few 6-packs as payment. Who know what the going rate for a machine rebuilder is, but hard to believe it’d be less than about $50/hr.

Agree with @matthewsx on getting a few projects under its belt before tearing into it. My guess is you’ll find it suits your needs just fine as is, but that’s for you to decide.

A couple thoughts though —

1) If the ways are hardened and ground, they won’t take kindly to scraping or flaking. So far as I understand it, most scraping/flaking was historically done on non-hardened cast iron ways, and were sometimes chromed after-the-fact for added wear resistance. Hardened ways are difficult (impossible?) to scrape.

2) Scraping and aligning a lathe ain’t no trivial task. I’ve never done it, but hard to believe it could be done in less than, say, 50 hours? Potentially much, much more. Someone ‘qualified’ probably isn’t going to accept a few 6-packs as payment. Who know what the going rate for a machine rebuilder is, but hard to believe it’d be less than about $50/hr.
I hear ya. The bed says are induction hardened I believe. But they are fine. I’m just looking to possibly have the cross slide and compound done.

Back