Need suggestions on bleeding my dodge diesel

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a 94 Dodge with a cummins 12 valve diesel The water in fuel senor was leaking so I replaced it. Thought that I had the fuel filter full of diesel but it wasn't full unbeknown to me. In attempting to bleed the system all I accomplished was to bleed all of the fuel out of the system leaving nothing but air. Currently there is fuel to the injection pump but the pump is not pumping any fuel. The fuel shut off solenoid is working and opens all the way. Fuel tank is 3/4 full.

Suggestions please.

crack open the lines at the injectors an crank until you see fuel weeping. Tighten lines and give ‘er a try.

Stay far away from the lines in case it builds pressure and squirts while cranking. Theres enough pressure there to slice into your skin like a laser, but it will also contaminate the flesh and the only cure is to cut away the flesh thats been damaged. Of all the things that can go wrong, the last thing you want is fuel/oil injected into your body. Its deadly and irreparable.

I have all of the lines cracked open and have cranked the engine for over 5 minutes in 30 second to one minute stints. There is a pressure relief valve on the back side of the pump. I wonder if I should try cracking that open. None of things I have read or watched on youtube mention doing that,

I tried cracking the pressure relief valve. No fuel coming out there. I also cracked the fuel inlet nut and have fuel coming out when I crank the engine. I have already done this several times. Done for the day. Got it on the battery charger to charge the battery.

Back when I turned wrenches on Fords, I had a garden sprayer with fuel line attached. 1/4 valve in line, air chuck on the end.
Connect to the schrader valve, pressurize sprayer, and you have a way to bleed without cranking.
Also works to get home or into the shop when the lift pump goes south.

The lift pump is working as best as I can tell. When I crack the inlet to the pump and crank the engine fuel comes put. This truck is my daily driver and the only running vehicle that I own. I drove it home after seeing fuel leaking on a friend's driveway. Located the leak in the water in fuel sensor. Replaced that and thought that I had the fuel filter full of fuel as I said in my prior post.

There is no place that I can see to attach a hose from a garden sprayer.

Maybe try some positive pressure into the fuel tank while trying to start it.

What type of injection pump are we talking about? Sounds almost like the fuel stop mech isn't disengaging or somehow got air locked.

There is a bleeder screw on top of the filter. It takes a 10mm wrench. open that and push the manual primer until fuel comes out then close it. Keep pumping about 10 more times and you will hear it going over relief at the top front line on the pump. It should start. Make sure the fuel solenoid is pulling all the way by hand while cranking the engine.

Back