Need suggestions on bleeding my dodge diesel

The pump is a P7100. I have raised this issue on the dodge cummins diesel forum too. I am now focusing on the fuel shut off. It seems to be working properly. I am going to tie it in the up position. That was suggested on the dodge forum.

The guys on the Dodge Cummins forum have been a great help. Still have not figured out why no fuel is coming from the injection pump. In trying to fix it I pumped the lift pump so many times that it has failed. That is a common problem with my truck. The lift pumps typically last for around 250,000 miles and I have 370,000 on my truck. Am ordering a new one and should have it sometime next week. Also investigating the fuel shut off system. Another common problem area on my dodge. The solenoid appears to be working proper. There is a key shaft where the key fails at times. Will have that apart tomorrow. Good thing that I don't have be anywhere till Xmas

The saga continues.

A weak lift pump will first show up on the Cummins B-series engines as extended cranking. It should start in 1 to 2 revolutions of the crankshaft. If it takes 2-3 seconds to fire, the lift pump is weak. If it takes more than 5 seconds, order a new lift pump.

I chased starting problems on a 4BT this winter. Long crank, replaced inline fuel filter. Hard to bleed, and eventually no fuel to the injectors - shutoff valve on Bosch injector pump stuck closed. Replaced the shutoff valve - wouldn't shut off! - new valve would hang open in random positions. Second new shutoff valve - no fuel delivered - replaced lift pump - new pump not fully machined, so outlet line wouldn't seat. Second new lift pump worked well, Now it starts in one crankshaft revolution.

I have a 12 Volt automotive fuel pump I've rigged up with an inline filter. I attach it to my inline fuel filter, crack the vent at the injector pump, and fill the system until I get no air bubbles from the bleeder, pumping from a gallon can of clean fuel.

Back