Need to change email from sign on

gspen60676@aol.com

Registered
Registered
I received this email and I don't where to go to correct the problem, Can any body get me going in the right direction. Sorry if I'm on the wrong location. I have written Tony but the mailbox was full. Patrick
Hi Patrick,
the choice is yours, but in general, I discourage people from posting their email addresses in plain-text when posting on any forum. Your using an email address as a screen name puts you at risk from bots who scour the Internet just for the purpose of collecting email addresses to add to spam lists. If this is a "junkmail" account, where you don't mind getting spam email, then fine, but if it is your regular email account, I would recommend that you select another screen name. If you want to change it, just let me know what you'd like to use.

Regards
Tony Wells
Administrator

There are other Mods and hopefully one of 'em will see this. Tony is spot on though, that there's just downright bad ju-ju. No doubt!

I received this email and I don't where to go to correct the problem, Can any body get me going in the right direction. Sorry if I'm on the wrong location. I have written Tony but the mailbox was full. Patrick
Hi Patrick,
the choice is yours, but in general, I discourage people from posting their email addresses in plain-text when posting on any forum. Your using an email address as a screen name puts you at risk from bots who scour the Internet just for the purpose of collecting email addresses to add to spam lists. If this is a "junkmail" account, where you don't mind getting spam email, then fine, but if it is your regular email account, I would recommend that you select another screen name. If you want to change it, just let me know what you'd like to use.

Regards
Tony Wells
Administrator

Patric, basically you made a big mistake using your e-mail address as "nickname".
In this way everybody on the net (not a lot of people, just 2 billions or so) knows your AOL address… and your birthday.
I suggest you to create another e-mail account (with Gmail or whatever you prefer) and to give it just to the people you know, because now this address is "burned" and collected by thousands of spammers, like every other e-mail address which appear in clear on the net.

Patric, basically you made a big mistake using your e-mail address as "nickname".
In this way everybody on the net (not a lot of people, just 2 billions or so) knows your AOL address… and your birthday.
I suggest you to create another e-mail account (with Gmail or whatever you prefer) and to give it just to the people you know, because now this address is "burned" and collected by thousands of spammers, like every other e-mail address which appear in clear on the net.

I've been making my email address and my real name public on the Net (my birthday is a matter of public record, of course) since the eighties. I get less spam then other more secretive people I know (and my filters dispose of it anyway).

Tony has been notified.

You guys can also PM me if Tony is busy, and I will tend to it.

Just so you know, we toss spammers off here all the time. We have anti-spam bots, and I also screen them. We have very, very few that get through.

I have received no response from a PM to the OP. I will send an email to the registered address.

Back