Need Water Soluble Degreaser/Cleaner Recommendations

extropic

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I'm cleaning some 5C collets that came out of an industrial environment and are thoroughly coated with the residue of the cutting oil and chips.

I've been putting 2 collets in a mason jar (closed), immersed in Easy Off Heavy Duty Degreaser Cleaner Spray (water soluble) and running it in an ultrasonic bath.
The Easy Off smells to me like extra strength 409 and is doing a good job but too expensive to carry on with.
I've read good things about ZEP Purple but never used it.

Before I roll out to HD, I'd like to ask if there are any other products I should consider?

I have a faint memory of reading something about ZEP Purple staining steel. Did I make that up or ???

I use 2 things... zep purple cleaner, and simple green.... simple green works so well... just give it time to eat through layers and it works. The zep purple is a little tougher for me, as I don't like to dispose of it down my septic...

zep doesn't stain steel, it will Aluminum.

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby I always used this stuff in my ultrasonic with good results.

John
Thanks for the input.
I do have a HF nearby.

What ratio (concentrate/water) would you suggest for dried heavy cutting oil.

@woodchucker

Maybe that staining of aluminum (not steel) was what was rattling around in my head. Thanks.

Oil Eater works very well
I see some of the labels say "Professional Strength Concentrate" but I don't see any dilution recommendations at the OE web site.
Do you dilute it with water or use it straight?

Is the Easy-off a lye-based cleaner? Maybe you could try washing soda instead- it's sodium carbonate
which is also an alkali, but a milder one and safer to use than lye. Cheap too.
Sold under the Borax name in the supermarket

Back