Needing a little help

ozzie46

Active User
Registered
I wonder if some one would sell me a couple of pieces of mild steel and broach a 3/8 square hole in them. They are the crank cheeks for a 9 Cyl radial. the 2 pieces are bolted together and the hole broached so that they are in alignment. Attached is a pic of the dimensions. The steel parts are .500 x 1.625x 3.218. This is for a model 9 Cly radial.
Pls let me know if you can help and how much it will cost. I cant see spending almost $200.00 on a broach I will only use once.
Thank you
Ron

Attachments

• 9 Cyl Crank Cheeks.jpg
    9 Cyl Crank Cheeks.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 36
What exactly does the broached hole do? Might be time for a bit of outside the box thinking. Is the actual part cut out of the center of the 1.625x3.218 stock?

The broached hole is a push no shake fit for a 3/8 square on the ends of the front and rear crankshafts The 2 pieces of steel stock is bolted together to keep them in alignment during drilling and broaching. the crankshaft fro this radial engine is made of 5 pieces, the front and rear shafts, the 2 crank cheeks and the master rod journal.

Steve Hucks of Lil Demon V-8 fame has kindly offered his help. Thank you for your interest.

Ron

As a fellow builder of the Ageless 9 cylinder engine, I took a different approach to the square hole in the cheeks problem. I clamped the two cheeks together during machining. I then drilled a 3/8 hole then used my die filer to square the hole. The entire crankshaft and bearing assembly is still a work in progress. We will see...... (Note, I have a build log here). A note. The assembly of this is convoluted.

Make a broach out of square silver steel then harden it.

Fun little project.

The other option would be to get the pieces either laser or water cut. Cheating I know...

Well, my idea (drilling hole and filing) seems to have worked. I did find Joe Pieczynski's more elegant process.
Check out

Well, my idea (drilling hole and filing) seems to have worked. I did find Joe Pieczynski's more elegant process.
Check out
Joe always has a neat solution up his sleeve.

The HSS and grinder is easier than using silver steel.

Back