Negel Machine Tool Co. Lathe info??

Chuck Forman

Registered
Registered
Negel Machine Tool Co. Cincinnati OH lathe coming up at local auction. Google gives me nothing (didn't know that was possible!!). Ditto Tony's Lathes.com. Anyone heard of Negel (not Nagel)?? From the pic it looks like a mid-1940's to early/mid-1950's 13+/- inch swing machine, maybe 48-60 inchs bt centers. Quick Change gears and speed change levers on headstock (not belt step pulleys).

Like a need a second, bigger lathe!!

Negel Machine Tool Co. Cincinnati OH lathe coming up at local auction. Google gives me nothing (didn't know that was possible!!). Ditto Tony's Lathes.com. Anyone heard of Negel (not Nagel)?? From the pic it looks like a mid-1940's to early/mid-1950's 13+/- inch swing machine, maybe 48-60 inchs bt centers. Quick Change gears and speed change levers on headstock (not belt step pulleys).

Like a need a second, bigger lathe!!

I wonder if it's actually "Nebel". Maybe mis-spelled in the ad? Googling "Nebel lathe" turned up quite a bit though there's nothing on Tony's site.
David

My first thought was that it is maybe a Nebel lathe, then I looked in my Metalworking Machinery serial number reference book, and there is no Negel, but of course Nebel is listed. they did not list any machines of less than 18" swing when the book was published (1963), but I do remember seeing that at some point they were making a 13 or 14" toolroom lathe along the lines of a Monarch EE. About all the other machines that they made, I have very little regard for; the shop I apprenticed in had a 36" X 16 ft, and it was a real club --- not a pleasant thing to run, with very coarse feeds (I think the finest was about .014; it was OK for roughing, but little else. I later owned a 24" X 8 ft and it was in very good condition, but not really in the class of a finely built piece of machinery; the engineering was way behind the timees; I finally got rid of it and bought a WW-1 era American Tool Works 30" swing engine lathe in very good condition that had come from a railroad shop; that was a real machine! It cut perfectly straight and ran smoothly, a pleasure to operate. The serial nmberbook says that starting in 1932, on all Nebel lathes, the first 2 serial numbers are the date.

Nebel's lathe arguably aimed at the 10EE market was the "Micro Turn" model 1308 (and there was a larger model MT 1510) See this thread: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...seiki-lathes/nuclear-tool-room-lathes-130921/

The "base" center distance was 24 inches (c.f. the 10EE's 20 inches). Here you can see an example of a longer bed version of the MT 1308: http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=5204&acctid=1055. As with the longer bed 10EE, the bed sticks out over the end of the base, I think in a rather unattractive sort of way.
David

Chuck,

I saw this too (I'm in Eugene) and my search for Negel led me directly here. Will be interesting to see if we can find a match to a specific Nebel lathe.

-Chef Juke

Chuck,

I saw this too (I'm in Eugene) and my search for Negel led me directly here. Will be interesting to see if we can find a match to a specific Nebel lathe.

-Chef Juke

Thanks everyone for the info. This machine looks older and maybe larger than the Micro-Turn models that this tread shows. I contacted the auction folks about previewing. Have not heard back. I don't need a big old lathe (like I really needed my current small old lathe and Gorton mastermill), but sometimes old stuff goes for scrap price and that would be a shame if its a decent machine.

Chef Juke; I'd be happy to get out of your way if someone needs to step up and save this old gal from a trip to China!!

Thanks everyone for the info. This machine looks older and maybe larger than the Micro-Turn models that this tread shows. I contacted the auction folks about previewing. Have not heard back. I don't need a big old lathe (like I really needed my current small old lathe and Gorton mastermill), but sometimes old stuff goes for scrap price and that would be a shame if its a decent machine.

Chef Juke; I'd be happy to get out of your way if someone needs to step up and save this old gal from a trip to China!!

Auction folks called back. Nebel lathe is roughly 18" swing (US) X 48" ctc with about 2" spindle hole. Total length is roughly 10 feet. Has a 3-jaw, steady rest and taper attachment and some misc tooling (that they have found so far). Didn't get model or serial number. Preview day is May 8th.

This lathe makes no sense for Mr. novice semi-retired farmer fixer here. I know a couple of locals that have big lathes, know how to use them and have tooling. On the rare occasion that I need something bigger done, I got friends. (Almost) Only reason I would bid on this is to save it from the scrappers. Not a great reason to buy something this big to move, place and god forbid, start buying tooling for. If this lathe is a high quality American Machine in good shape I suppose I or Chef Juke or whomever has a least a tiny bit of a responsibility to consider doing the right thing (and in my case hope to be outbid).

benmychree: Thanks for the serial number date info. Unfortunately, the Auction folks did not get me a serial number. The Nebels you have used were not super-special. I assume if its roughly the same vintage, likely same is true of the one in my and Chef Juke's neighborhood. If you or others have thoughts on whether this might be an old piece of American Iron worth adopting, pls shout out.

Cheers, Chuck Forman

Auction folks called back. Nebel lathe is roughly 18" swing (US) X 48" ctc with about 2" spindle hole. Total length is roughly 10 feet. Has a 3-jaw, steady rest and taper attachment and some misc tooling (that they have found so far). Didn't get model or serial number. Preview day is May 8th.

This lathe makes no sense for Mr. novice semi-retired farmer fixer here. I know a couple of locals that have big lathes, know how to use them and have tooling. On the rare occasion that I need something bigger done, I got friends. (Almost) Only reason I would bid on this is to save it from the scrappers. Not a great reason to buy something this big to move, place and god forbid, start buying tooling for. If this lathe is a high quality American Machine in good shape I suppose I or Chef Juke or whomever has a least a tiny bit of a responsibility to consider doing the right thing (and in my case hope to be outbid).

benmychree: Thanks for the serial number date info. Unfortunately, the Auction folks did not get me a serial number. The Nebels you have used were not super-special. I assume if its roughly the same vintage, likely same is true of the one in my and Chef Juke's neighborhood. If you or others have thoughts on whether this might be an old piece of American Iron worth adopting, pls shout out.

Cheers, Chuck Forman

The Nebel sold for $1025. It looked pretty decent. Some scratching on the ways near the headstock, but it was not worn out or abused and it was running and lubed. Had a ton of bits, 3 and 4 jaw, face plate, steady rest and taper attachment. Had a 5 HP single phase motor, almost certainly a retrofit, but ran fine.

I couldn't justify taking up that much shop space when I would so seldom need that size machine. Plus I purchased a $300 11 inch Logan Fixer-Upper last week and another lathe would have been evidence of serious mental problems!!

Back