Nema 1 Square D

Manderioli

Registered
Registered
I have a Nema 1 Square D on my van Norman mill. Trying to understand how to wire the incoming loom (240 1ph) and also the motor (230 1ph).

There is a wiring diagram inside the box that is attached. Also I have a start stop switch (already wired but not sure it is correct). I have only taken the incoming loom and old bad motor off the circuit. I never tested the electrical system because I knew the motor was bad.

Also attached is how the wires are currently attached. So far the wires going to the circuit breakers (t1 and t3) are attached as shown in the diagram.

I will try to explain how it is currently wired:
Start/stop switch
Orange wire is attached @ L1 and goes to the stop side of the switch
Purple wire is attached at "3" and goes to start side of switch
Black wire is attached at "2" (lower position next to three) and goes to bridge terminal for start/stop

120v plug
White wire goes from L2 to ground lug side of receptacle
Yellow wire goes from L3 to power lug side of receptacle

Please advice me on how my 3 wire incoming loom (black red green) should be attached and also my motor (black white green).

My assumptions are:
Incoming loom
Black goes to L1
Red goes to L2
Jumper from L2 to L3
Green goes to case

Motor loom
Black wire goes to T1 circuit breaker
White wire goes to T3 circuit breaker
Green goes to case (some location for incoming loom)

If you need more photos or information let me know. Trying to turn the power on sometime today if possible without letting any smoke out.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Rather than deleting the thread, please tell us what the problem was so we can learn from this.

The problem was with me not fully understanding the wiring diagram.

I wanted to be sure once the system went live I wouldn't smoke the new motor or my shop.

My assumptions where correct for proper hook up except for the 120 V receptacle. One wire should go to L2/L3 while other line should be attached to the Green (Ground).

Last edited:
The wiring diagram inside the door of my VN6 was also confounding.
Fortunately my step father in law is a retired electrical engineer.
He gave up on the diagram and found it easier to draw it out himself.

Daryl
MN

Back