New 5c Collet Chuck and Collets! :)

I just got my TMX 5c set-tru collet chuck and to my surprise my hobby quality 5C collets have a keyway that's narrower than the key in the TMX chuck. I'm a bit stumped as I thought 5C collet design was standard. So I need to know if the key one the chuck is wider than normal or if the keyway on my collets are undersized?

It seems to be a common problem with the TMX 5C chucks, I recall others that had the same issue and had to tweak the 5C chuck guide (it is not an issue with the collets). It is one area where the Bison 5C Set-Tru has a bit better QC and does not have that issue (I own one). TMX use to be a distributor for Bison but they now are a separate manufacturer also located in Poland, for the price difference I think Bison is still a bit better.

It seems to be a common problem with the TMX 5C chucks, I recall others that had the same issue and had to tweak the 5C chuck guide (it is not an issue with the collets). It is one area where the Bison 5C Set-Tru has a bit better QC and does not have that issue (I own one). TMX use to be a distributor for Bison but they now are a separate manufacturer also located in Poland, for the price difference I think Bison is still a bit better.
Thanks. That makes sense. I can always disengage the keyway in the chuck as it's held on with a screw, but then I have to hold the collet while I use the handle to tighten the collet, seems a bit pointless. I'll look into modifying the Keyway, but quite annoying to experience this on a brand new chuck that's sold with the promise of being as good as Bison. Other than that, the chuck seems to be a quality bit of kit. I already have a TMX 6 jaw and I'm very happy with that chuck.

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_213644.jpg
    IMG_20210112_213644.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
Back