New ACRA 1440C lathe with Mark Jacobs VFD

Thats a expensive VFD. I guess its like other things in that you have to pay for quality.

They are both 5 Hp models, my ERL-1340 was available with either a 3 Hp or 5 Hp, I went with the 3 Hp. I do not know if the factory motor on the VFD model is different, but would assume it is more of a vector style needed to cover a 10 fold speed range with the two speed gearbox. I recommend running the sock motor from 20-80 Hz, I see no reason to have to extend it to a higher RPM. Most of the time I leave my lathe in high gear usually using the 772 speed which gives me a range in the 200-1000 RPM. Of interest, both of our lathes run slower when set at 60 Hz then the posted name plate speeds for some reason, so having the VFD and a tachometer allows one to dial in the speed vs. the manual lathe w/o a VFD. Thee is also a manual version of the lathe with a 2 speed motor, so 5 Hp in high speed and 2.5 Hp low speed with the 8 speed gearbox gives 16 speeds.

Before my ERL-1340 was delivered I was able to pick up a 3 Hp vector motor that I though I would install, but once I started using the stock motor there was just no reason switch to a vector motor and there is the added complication that the manual brake is part of the motor pulley.

If I remember correctly mine was $1000 more for the factory vfd.

Price of the VFD model was 2K more when I purchased my ERL 1340 and now around 3K more than the manual. The VFD price of the 5HP GA500 was less than the Hitachi WJ200-075SF and less than half of the 10 Hp Yaskawa used in the factory VFD 1440C. Prices have gone up significantly. You need to shop around on the VFD's these days, this is a bit higher than the cost of the one that was purchased for the project. Many of the VFD's (like the WJ200) are also out of stock.

Last edited:
Great looking setup Doug. Glad this has worked out for you. I remember your first lathe delivery was severely damaged in shipment and you refused delivery. All's well that ends well, right.? At times I wish I had the space for a larger lathe myself, but my (fully customized) PM-1340 is serving me well. I admire your courage gutting the controls on a brand new lathe - kind of reminds me of my saga tearing apart my 1340 and doing a re-paint and fastener upgrade. You should be able to churn out parts for NASA with your 1440. Congratulations.

Great looking setup Doug. Glad this has worked out for you. I remember your first lathe delivery was severely damaged in shipment and you refused delivery. All's well that ends well, right.? At times I wish I had the space for a larger lathe myself, but my (fully customized) PM-1340 is serving me well. I admire your courage gutting the controls on a brand new lathe - kind of reminds me of my saga tearing apart my 1340 and doing a re-paint and fastener upgrade. You should be able to churn out parts for NASA with your 1440. Congratulations.
It's been a long journey just getting a couple machines in my shop. I think I started all this last February. Last January I was in the hospital with a health scare. Made me realize that I need to get some of my long term goals done and this was something I have been wanting since I got out of the trade years ago.

Back