New Atlas Lathe serial number...

TH stands for Timken headstock so it's likely a 10" machine is my guess. A picture would help immensely
The model # is more useful to ID it

Thanks, I am attaching pictures here.

I originally posted this in the welcome forum and was looking for a way to forward that post but I'll just copy and paste some of the text.

New member problems...

There is no ID plate but the serial number is stamped on the way. That's the TH15898S. Here is part of my post in the welcome forum:

"It needs a good cleaning and service and I have a copy of the Manual of Lathe Operation. Once I go through the MOLO, I'll have a better idea of the different maintenance parts and supplies I'll need but would appreciate any advice. Both what to use and where to get them.

The original countershaft bracket/assembly is missing. I believe I have the original motor and will be taking it to someone who refurbishes them.

I am working with the Clausing service parts group on one broken part but I'm not sure I will end up needing it. I'm thinking it comes off another model machine since I don't see it in the 10F parts manual. The countershaft pulley is also a little damaged. I'm thinking it needs to be replaced since it looks like they're balanced at the factory. I assume that's why there are several spots where some material was drilled out.

I'm attaching some pictures and would like help with model identification, the correct countershaft bracket and assembly to purchase, and any other words of wisdom.

I did watch one video where the countershaft bracket assembly mounted to a bracket attached to the rear leg. I don't have holes for a mount on my legs so does that mean that isn't an option on my machine or do I maybe just need to get the correct leg. If I had to guess, my setup has been patched together from a couple different sources.

Thanks for all your help!!

LatheFront.jpgHeadstock1.jpgCountershaftFront.jpgCountershaft_Complete.jpgHeadstock2.jpgLatheTailstock.jpgGearAssembly.jpgThreadGearTable.jpg

Looks to me that you are missing a bunch of the parts for holding the motor. This site has a bunch of pictures that may help you out.

"T" does stand for "Timken". Meaning the spindle bearing type. The alternative was a blank, which meant that it had Babbit spindle bearings. However, the "H" stood for "Horizontal". Referring to the Countershaft type. The alternative was "V" for "Vertical". Presence of any of those letters before the Serial Number meant that the lathe was a 10F.

"T" does stand for "Timken". Meaning the spindle bearing type. The alternative was a blank, which meant that it had Babbit spindle bearings. However, the "H" stood for "Horizontal". Referring to the Countershaft type. The alternative was "V" for "Vertical". Presence of any of those letters before the Serial Number meant that the lathe was a 10F.
That is exactly what I needed to know! Thank you!! Now to find one and the milling attachment!

And if the serial number has the letter "S" stamped after the digits of the serial number, which many do, no one seems to know what that meant. Except that it does NOT mean Sears as many 10" have it. A "D" seems to mean a 10D although some that are probably 10D's don't have it.

The 10" serial numbers started at "1" and never started over at "1". The current highest 10" serial number reported is 109258. So it is easy to guess that the total 10" production was nearly 110,000. Sears, on the other hand, started the serial numbers over at "1" for each new model number. Since we have no or few examples reported for the earlier ones of the 14 different models, we really can't come up with a believable total production figure for the 12". Other than that the total number of 12" was probably similar to the total number of 10".

Last edited:
Back