New California Law Bans Products Containing Brass

I have received a very ambiguous answer from the contact listed in the link from Jim Dawson.

Here it is......since there is nothing in it that is sensitive there should be no issues with my posting it.
Pierre

Thank you for contacting OEHHA regarding Proposition 65.

Proposition 65 is a law approved by California voters in 1986. It requires the state of California to compile a list of chemicals that cause cancer or reproductive harm and it requires companies with 10 or more employees that expose Californians to chemicals on the list to provide a clear and reasonable warning about the exposure(s). It does not ban or restrict the use (or shipment) of any given chemical. OEHHA compiles the Proposition 65 list, but we do not test products and we do not have any information on which chemicals are in which products.

Businesses are not required to provide OEHHA with any information regarding their decision to provide a Proposition 65 warning. This decision is made by each business based on its knowledge of the types of chemical exposures it is responsible for causing to individuals.

Because we do not know why a business has chosen to provide a warning, we generally cannot respond to specific questions regarding product safety, the reason a warning is being given, or the listed chemical for which the warning is being given. We also cannot answer questions regarding how long and at what level the chemical exposures have been occurring. The responses to these questions should be requested from the business providing the warning. The Proposition 65 list of chemicals is available at http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/prop65_list/Newlist.html.

The purpose of Proposition 65 is to notify consumers that they are being exposed to chemicals that are known to cause cancer and/or reproductive toxicity. Consumers can decide on their own if they want to purchase or use the product. A Proposition 65 warning does not necessarily mean a product is in violation of any product-safety standards or requirements. For additional information about the warning, we recommend that you contact the product manufacturer.

For chemicals that are listed as causing cancer, the "no significant risk level” is defined as the level of exposure that would result in not more than one excess case of cancer in 100,000 individuals exposed to the chemical over a 70-year lifetime. In other words, a person exposed to the chemical at the “no significant risk level” for 70 years would not have more than a “one in 100,000” chance of developing cancer as a result of that exposure.

For chemicals that are listed as causing birth defects or reproductive harm, the “no observable effect level” is determined by identifying the level of exposure that has been shown to not pose any harm to humans or laboratory animals. Proposition 65 then requires this “no observable effect level” to be divided by 1,000 in order to provide an ample margin of safety. Businesses subject to Proposition 65 are required to provide a warning if they cause exposures to chemicals listed as causing birth defects or reproductive harm that exceed 1/1000th of the “no observable effect level.”

Other state public health officials and federal government agencies are responsible for regulating product safety. For example, the California Department of Public Health (link is external) issues recalls of food products found to be unsafe. The federal U.S. Food and Drug Administration (link is external) regulates food, drug, cosmetic and medical device products. Other types of consumer products, including toys, jewelry, personal care products, and other non-food items, are regulated by the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission (link is external), which also may issue recalls for products found to be unsafe. Finally, the California Air Resources Board (link is external) may ban products that harm the air we breathe.

I hope this information is helpful.

Kind regards,

News from the CA state capitol and Grizzly. I just got a phone call from the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment (OEHHA) that administers CA Prop 65. I explained my situation, and they confirmed what others have said on this thread: " Proposition 65 is not a ban or restriction, but only a warning requirement." Of course they couldn't comment on Grizzly's motivation for cancelling my order, but said that state law only requires approved written warning be included with products that contain any of the OEHHA list of harmful components. Which, by-the-way is a big list.

I called Grizzly and explained what I had learned to a very nice customer service rep who said that Grizzly has decided not to ship products containing brass to California, and other states, (she mentioned some parts of Ohio) not because of State law, but because there are now so many county and city regulations throughout California that restrict brass, lead, etc. that they (Grizzly) have decided not to bother to ship these products to California altogether. The rep went on to say that this policy has been in place for some time.

So, I guess I will find a rotary table from another source. Thanks for all of the input!

Paul

Thanks Pierre for posting the Prop 65 information. I sent my blurb before I saw yours.

Regards,

Paul

That's amazing. :mad: If I say any more I'll be swerving into politics and we are not going there.

Grizzly's stance on this amazes me! They must think, (they should know), that their California market is quite small

Cheers Phil

It has got to be Grizzly, otherwise both Sherline and Little Machine Shop would be moving to another state. Unless these companies don't use brass in their products, which I find hard to believe.

Likely they supply a sticker or sheet as required by the legislation, which Grizzly is unwilling to do.
Pierre

So I guess that Grizzly won't be selling any lathes in CA because of the brass oilers. Or any of the other multitude of their products that contain a bit of brass. I wonder how long it will take for Mr. Balolia to realize he has just killed a major market.

Back