New Craftsman Lathe

Thank you, Robert. Thjat is an interesting read.
Bed casting number: 942
No letters.

- - - Updated - - -

Hukcats1:
This thread is about YOUR lathe... What does it have for numbers cast into the inner surface of the bed?

Thank you, Robert. Thjat is an interesting read.
Bed casting number: 942
No letters.

- - - Updated - - -

Hukcats1:
This thread is about YOUR lathe... What does it have for numbers cast into the inner surface of the bed?

I'll have to check. Working mids again this weekend so it's just sleeping, eating and working right now.

Bed casting is 942

I just started disassembling and cleaning. This is the only casting/serial/identification number I can find other than casting on the individual parts.

Howie

Think you could have your bride find me a deal like that ? $150 I can afford.

Yep, that is one nice find. Iwouldn't have passed that up even if I didn't need it. Would have found someone else who did really need it.

Howie,

There should be a number stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. 942 is the bed part number. It was used on the 9" and the early 10" and 12". It might be part number 942A, B or C. For whatever reason, Atlas didn't usually add the suffix letter to the casting part number, unless the casting itself changed.

Raymond,

To answer your last question from last year, the catalogs I was referring to were the Craftsman Power Tools catalogs (unless I wrote "Big", which meant the regular Sears catalog).

Robert D.

Howie,

There should be a number stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. 942 is the bed part number. It was used on the 9" and the early 10" and 12". It might be part number 942A, B or C. For whatever reason, Atlas didn't usually add the suffix letter to the casting part number, unless the casting itself changed.

Raymond,

To answer your last question from last year, the catalogs I was referring to were the Craftsman Power Tools catalogs (unless I wrote "Big", which meant the regular Sears catalog).

Robert D.

Robert,

I will check again on Wednesday. It very well may be that a plate existed at one time as I see a hole on the right end of the bed.

Howie

Howie,

I'm not talking about a nameplate. Up until at least late 1957, both the Atlas and the Craftsman badged machines had the serial number stamped into the top of the front way near the right end. Or at least every time that I have insisted that it had to be there somewhere, the owner has eventually reported finding it. The nameplate, with the model number, was on the back of the bed, although someone wrote earlier that on very early Craftsman production, there was no nameplate. If correct, I don't know what year that changed. I think that with the advent of the 1/2" bed 12" machines in late 1957, they switched to putting the nameplate on the right end of the bed, and it also has the serial number on it. At least it was there by the early 60's. The bad thing about this is that the nameplates have often been removed and lost by a previous owner.

Robert D.

Howie did you ever get your lathe up and running? If you are still following this thread I have a lathe that I have had for years and I believe it is the same lathe as yours. In fact what really got my attention was the lack of a serial number on the front way just as mine is also lacking a number in that location, all I could find was a tiny L.

Now with Roberts help I know what I have and I finally want to find the missing or wrong parts and put it back together. It is not going to be a restoration because I want to make a daily driver out of it.

Robert since the picture of Howie's new craftsman lathe is a good representation of my lathe if not the exact model, would it be possible to move the posts of the questions that I posted and the answers you gave on the The New Manual uploads thread so anyone that has this model with a tumbler direction selector and gears will be able to find it easier. I never knew this thread was about this model lathe because all the heading said was New craftsman lathe.

Back