New Creality Ender 6 Won't Print. "Heating . . . " long after Target Temp is hit

Shiseiji

Avid destroyer of many materials.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Greetings all. I'm a new Creality Ender 6 Owner. Set up December 26th. Delayed purchasing a 3D printer because I hoped for a non-project. Didn't work out that way. I did a quick search of the group for "Heat" but nothing came up. Hoping someone may have seen this before and can help.
I've found 3 ways to set the heat for the nozzle and bed for printing and it takes about 90 seconds to get to the selected temps.
  1. [Temp] Automatic (Generic PLT)
  2. [Temp] Manual set nozzle and bed.
  3. [Print] Select file, [Adjust], change the temperatures from "0" to, example, the generic PLA 195/40 and Return.
  4. ( Can't find a setting to turn off auto-numbering :( !@#$ or not use code).

5. All three result in a message "Heating . . . " and the target temperatures being shown as the selection. Yes, I've double checked all the cables are seated. Because the thermistor appears to be reading the temps during the heat up, and shows the temperatures falling using option #3 above until the settings are changed from "0" I suspect it's not the thermistor.
  6. Ideas?
  7. TIA
Ron

I don't own a Creality printer and am not very familiar with them, but since your post hasn't attracted anyone more knowledgeable with them, ill try.

Just so that im not misunderstanding:

So, when you try to run a gcode file to print something, the hotend heats to the correct temp, bet stays there and won't run the rest of the code file?

I don't own a Creality printer and am not very familiar with them, but since your post hasn't attracted anyone more knowledgeable with them, ill try.

Just so that im not misunderstanding:

So, when you try to run a gcode file to print something, the hotend heats to the correct temp, bet stays there and won't run the rest of the code file?
Yes, and thanks for the response. Turned out the Creality Slicer application wasn't sending the temperature in the G code. My brother who teaches machine tool technology and G coding suggested I try the Cura slicer app. I re-did the slice with Cura and it then printed without a problem.

Yes, and thanks for the response. Turned out the Creality Slicer application wasn't sending the temperature in the G code. My brother who teaches machine tool technology and G coding suggested I try the Cura slicer app. I re-did the slice with Cura and it then printed without a problem.

Awesome.. glad to hear it.

Download and give Prusa Slicer a try as well. I recently built a Voron and during my first venture away from proprietary Flashprint, spent a couple weeks with both Cura and Prusa Slicer.

While both worked well, I ended up going with Prusa Slicer. Its user interface seemed alot more intuitive to me.

Will do, thanks. An Instagram acquaintance also mentioned SuperSlicer.

Will do, thanks. An Instagram acquaintance also mentioned SuperSlicer.

I tried to, try, super slicer.

It's kinda weird, like I couldn't find a simple download and had trouble figuring out how to get it from GitHub.

Granted, at the point I was trying to download it PrusaSlicer was working well enough for me that I gave up pretty quick in trying to download Super slicer.

I guess since I was having trouble downloading it, and that it was coming from GitHub instead of an actual company with a vested interested in maintaining and updating the software, I started wondering if maybe the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

I've not discovered a hard rule. Some open source is stellar, and just isn't. Since I've only done one print, hard to be any less experienced with slicers.

For github, check to the right side of the code files. There is usually a small "releases" link. You can get the downloads there. It's not intuitive at all, but it's a site designed for software developers and code sharing, so that takes up the bulk of the space on the page.

I use it as it has good support for Kipper based setups, but there is no one best slicer for everything. I recommend picking one that works for you to start with, then using that knowledge to try a couple of others so that you have options in case you run into a model that just doesn't work well with your usual slicer. I also suggest sticking with the more well known programs to start with. There are more people available to help if you are stuck.

Back