New drive wheels for my antique lawn mower

Hi Chris, I found these pictures online- looks very much like yours:
Mark
Keemower2a.jpg
Keemower3a.jpg
Keemower4a.jpg

Saaay, what's the story on that tailstock for your rotary table? Did you make it? I've been thinking about making one...

MetaKey
I made the tail stock center. Nothing fancy but it works. If you want I can post a closeup pic.

I think it's older than that, even in the 70s I wouldn't think you could market something like that with all the exposed spinning whirling finger rippin' parts, plus the high cost of production
But I could be wrong :cool:

Last edited:
I made the tail stock center. Nothing fancy but it works. If you want I can post a closeup pic.

Thanks - yes, a pic of the tailstock assembly would be nice! It's probably a winter project for me. Got more pressing matters in front of me at the moment. But, I'd like to see what you made as a source of inspiration and food for thought..

MetaKey

20180901_143433.jpg
The center is made of steel that I turned and then hardened. The other parts are made out of 1 inch aluminum. The two small bolts tighten the center in place once I use the bolt at the back to push the center toward my work. Not elegant but it works.

View attachment 274781
The center is made of steel that I turned and then hardened. The other parts are made out of 1 inch aluminum. The two small bolts tighten the center in place once I use the bolt at the back to push the center toward my work. Not elegant but it works.

Thanks for the pic. I like it. I was hung up on the idea of making the base out of a single chunk of steel. Now I can see other possibilities. Good food for thought here..

Thanks again,
MetaKey

Cool old mower! As for the tailstock: those are expensive on ebay YIKES. Well played Sir!

Hi Guys,

A couple of pieces of 100 mm X 6 mm steel angle makes a good start.

Back